Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Project Proposal: Computer Lab In Multan Jail (khubaib Fnd)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Project Proposal: Computer Lab in Multan Jail (Khubaib Fnd) Reply with quote

ADPers,

To let you all know that we have received a project proposal from Khubaib for a Computer Lab in the Multan Jail. Here is the project summary. Will post the complete proposal when i get the soft-copy.

Name of Project: Establishment of the The Computer Center In the Women Jail Multan
Location of Project: Women Jail, Multan
Name of NGO: Khubaib Foundation
Per Year Beneficiaries: 180
Project Period: 5 years
Establishment Cost: Rs. 734,,400
Running Cost: Rs. 12,000 per Month

The program will educate, train and rehabilitate the inmates and reclaim them for becoming a useful person of society, this breaking the vicious cycle of the crimes.

ADP had worked with Khubaib last year on the Multan Jail Well Digging Project. This project would be a continuation on this previous program.

Just to capture previous points Bilal had mentioned that he was unsure of the importance of a computer lab in the jails, and had suggested that we ask Khubaib if we could work on a vocational program instead.

Wanted to see what were the intial thoughts on this project proposal.

Nadia
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have basically the same questions as Bilal, but think it is definitely worth pursuing.

I very much like that it would be the first time we would follow up an ADP project with a complimentary project.

The cost doesn't bother me, as its spread over multiple years. I assume we can pay out in increments.

~Justin
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting some more documents sent over by Nadia related to this project.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim, thank you so much for uploading the files. Attaching them was taking me too long and I was just about to give up and send you an e-mail to take care of this!

We will need to discuss with Khubaib the possibility of breaking up the transfer of funds. The major chunck is of course establishment cost (Rs. 734,400 which is about $12K), so we would have to work out how the funds are to be divided... if the project is too big (money wise) and we are unable to break it up into doable chunks, we can, may be, evaluate one component of the project which would be more managable for us. For example we could take on the construction cost (about $6.5K) or getting the computers and accessories (about $6K).

If we are able to break the funding of this projects, or delay the sending of funds, we can use the project to ask people to directly support/donate for this effort. This may help us rope in new, much needed donors. I know we have discussed this approach several times earlier but so far have not tried it out.

Also we are looking for a project champion for this project. So if you are interested, let Justin Stone know.
Abdur-Rahim Syed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Khubaib Comp Lab Questions Reply with quote

Going on the discussion yesterday in the meeting, here is a preliminary list of questions to ask Khubaib:

1. Can the payments be made in increments? If yes, how would it be structured?
2. Do we have evidence, or reason to believe, that computer training will actually get inmates jobs?
3. Does Khubaib have other ideas for vocational training to complement or be a substitute for computer training?

Other questions? I think we should keep the list of questions short and to the point. Once there seems to be reasonable consensus on the questions, I'll go ahead and e-mail Khubaib.
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to highlight points 2 and 3 above and repeat what I had said in the meeting yesterday for those who could not attend it.

There are a lot of unemployed youth educated in all kinds of fields including the field of computers in Pakistan. Why would any organization hire a convicted person instead of university graduates? Unless Khubabib can guarantee jobs for these women based on the education they would get through this programme, I see very little value in it. I would have looked at the proposal more kindly if instead of computer training they had wanted to train these women to start up a small business of their own from their homes such as candle making or something else on a similar scale that prepares them to be self sufficient as well as integrate back into the society.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Adnan raises the critical issue. My assumption is that Khubaib has already considered this, and will make the case that there is an avenue for former prisoners to make use of these skills.

Let's ask them for more specifics on how these skills will be of benefit in practice...

~Justin
Abdur-Rahim Syed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Khubaib Contact Reply with quote

Hi Nadia (or anyone else):

Could you provide me the contact info for Khubaib (both e-mail address and name of contact), so I can ask them the questions discussed here?

Thanks,
Abdur-Rahim.
Abdur-Rahim Syed

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Khubaib Comp Lab Correspondence Reply with quote

I heard from Khubaib, and here is the gist of their response:

Finances: they will need the money for project establishment and 1st year running costs up front (about $14,640), and then other expenses can be covered later (unclear what these other expenses are, or when they will need to be paid for).

Employment: Khubaib neither guarantees nor provides a mechanism through which inmates can seek employment after their sentences are completed. Post-prison employment is one of two goals of the project; the other is to provide a healthy environment for them to rehabilitate in and think positively about their lives.

Other vocational training: Khubaib has a separate "Fabric Painting" project they are pitching to the Ministry of Women Affairs. Other vocational programs in jails haven't been that fruitful since the job market requires more technical (read: computer) training.

I think we should think this over and have another vote to see if we want to go forward with this, as opposed to going back to her with more questions. Perhaps the ADP meeting this weekend is a good time and place.

I have attached the correspondence in case anyone wants to read the full-text.

Abdur-Rahim.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdur-Rahim,

If you think this is a good prospect, you might want to get more detail on how they plan to address post-prison employment prior to our meeting. They seem to name this as a priority, but include no provision for realizing the goal...

My instinct is that the start-up costs are so high, and the outcome so unclear, that we should not proceed. But, you might want to press them on this critical point before we let it go. Clearly, they beleive it will be a valuable program. I'd like to get a better understanding of why...

~Justin
Abdur-Rahim Syed

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Khubaib cont. Reply with quote

Justin,

In short, I do not think it is a good project. In my initial correspondence, which included a pointed question on post-prison employment, the Khubaib contact responded with two key points:

1. Khubaib will not guarantee them employment, nor provide them any post-prison assistance in finding employment.
2. Part of the reason for the project is to improve the mental outlook of the inmates.

Combined with the price tag, I think this project will fail to pass the vote in the upcoming meeting. As such, I do not want to drag out the correspondence (and thereby raise hope) by contacting Khubaib again.

Frankly, I wish I could have cut it off earlier, but after the official vote this weekend is better than even later.

-Abdur-Rahim-
Abdur-Rahim Syed

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Khubaib Cut-off? Reply with quote

All,

I was hoping to get a vote on Khubaib this past meeting. As we did not have a quorum (I was among the guilty missing parties), there was no vote.

I do not believe this project would have passed the vote at all, and do not see much virtue in it myself. Since timing is important, I suggest that, as a substitute to the all-out vote, people who would like to see this project undertaken speak up on the forums. If I do not see any postings in the next 3-4 days, I will go ahead and communicate to Khubaib that we do not plan to fund the project.

Thanks,
Abdur-Rahim.
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your approach Abdur-Rahim. Lets not delay this any longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: