Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

'special Children'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: 'Special Children' Reply with quote

Have we come across any 'special children' projects?
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not to my knowledge.
Tasneem Zahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danish,
A few years back, I did some voluntary work for two different institutions for special children in Lahore. I will try to visit them next month and find out if there are any interesting projects that ADP may want to fund.
Tasneem
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Also, if you can find out if they need anything else from US besides money, like esp books or something else. I am in touch with couple of org here that deal with esp kids, so may be I can get something from them.

thanks.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danish, There is an organization in Lahore called Roshni that is doing some great work with special kids. It is run by a German lady. They give the kids vocational training and jobs. One of their better known projects has been their bakery. The bakery is currently supplying breads to severals outlets in Lahore. I'll see if I can get more information about them.
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

There are two organizations I know of in Lahore that work with children who have disabilities.

One is The Rising Sun School (I think thats what its called.. on the main road just as you enter Defence), they specialize in teaching children with learning disabilities.

There is also a school for blind children which I was very impressed with (but have forgotten the name). It was amazing to see blind kids type by listening to computer audio. Basically a man set it up in memory of one his family members I think and they were in need of funds. Can try to find out more details if you want.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danish, here is the contact information regarding Roshni Association. The Roshni Association provides medical, residential and educational facilities to disabled and mentally retarded persons in Lahore, Pakistan. The Association provides workshops in organic bakery, textile and wood, and gardening. The fund also supports residential care, and building bridges between western and Islamic countries.

tel: 42 5725913
Address:R 204, Defence.H.A., Lahore, Pakistan
e-mail: roshni@gmx.net

I have not contacted them myself. I thought since you were interested in working in the 'special children' area, I'd give you first dibs on being project champion/contact on this one. Once we have started talking to them, I will be happy to go visit their organization and have a face-to-face with them. Of course if you are too swamped to start work on this one, no worries (and i am sorry to have put the spotlight on you like this). I'll contact them and see if there are any projects we can fund.
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Nadia and offering me the PC position! I wouldnt mind being a PC for a project, esp one related to special children.

I did some research on Roshni, and seems like they are well funded. They recently got some support from RS Foundation.

Even though they are doing great stuff, I think we should target those org who are in dire need and can have a substantial impact with our modest funding, like our Jail project and others.

BTW, I briefly spoke with RS Foundation today to see if we can also apply for the grants. I briefly mentioned her about our structure and she gave a green signal. We just missed their Spring cycle deadline by a week or so ( march 15th), their next deadline is Sep 15th.

Nadia, please let us know if you find any other similar org.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to my father about Roshni, and he agrees with you that they are pretty well funded. I'll look around for some more organizations working with special children and get back to you.

It is too bad that we missed the RS Foundation deadline - though always nice to know that we can apply. We should def aim for the Sept deadline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: