Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Nirali Kitaben Questions For Nadia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saima Gowani

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Nirali Kitaben Questions for Nadia Reply with quote

The following is the email i sent to Nadia with questions to ask NK so that we can discuss the project in more depth at our next meeting. below is also a concern that justin raised about the project.

Hey Nadia,
Thanks so much for your update. when I presented the update to the group on Sunday, lots of questions came up. I'm going to copy this to the forums as well so that the rest of the group can respond as well.

couple things the group decided on:
1. lets keep the five-pronged Bonded Labor project on hold for now. lets focus on the smaller projects, gauge how our relationship with the NGO is, and inshallah, if things go well, we can look at which part of the bonded labor project we want to get involved with for part two.

2. so, the focus is on two smaller projects: the translation project into Pashto or the expansion of the facilities so that more women can be involved with book binding.

There were lots of questions regarding the two different projects. I'm going to list them below - some are general and apply to both projects and some are specific to each one. I'm going to try to differentiate them but there is a lot of overlap. in general, we simply want more information about both projects.

questions to ask:
- how much does the project cost?
- how many people are involved with the project? breakdown by gender, age?
- how do they choose the communities in which they work?
- can you expand on the process of each of the projects? who/what/when/where/how....
-
book binding:
- how many books are they binding per person per day? what will the new facilities allow them to do?
- how many people will be able to bind books after the expansion?
- outside of construction costs, what other costs are associated with this project?
- how long will the project take?
- are these books sold to the students engaging in the literacy classes, or are they given to them? can the books be bought in the market without taking the literacy classes? how much are the books if sold? where does the revenue go?

Pashto translation project:
- have they looked into other books that are already in Pashto instead of translating new books?
- how many books are part of the curriculum? what types of books are these? are there different grade levels of the books, or one standard curriculum?
- how long will the translation take?
- what is the format of this curriculum? is it only books that are being translated or other learning materials (teachers guides/audio and video cassettes) are also being translated?
- what impact did the Sindh translation have on the livelihood of the people? what indicators were used to gauge 'success'?

the group will meet again in one week to discuss the project; I hope that we have some answers to make the most educated decisions possible. let me know if you need clarification on anything mentioned above.

look forward to hearing from you soon,

Saima Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 10:02 AM
To: twasim@mba2005.hbs.edu; 'Nadia Shaikh'
Cc: obiabani@gmail.com; 'Gowani, Saima'
Subject: RE: [ADPnet] Meeting Minutes - Nirali Kitaben Site Visit

Hey Nadia,

Excellent write-up. Thanks! I missed yesterday’s meeting, so I’m probably joining the discussion a little late.

I don’t have a problem funding a specific initiative/component of a religious organization if we research the organization thoroughly and feel comfortable with all of its activities. I wouldn’t be comfortable funding a program that promotes one religion at the exclusion of others. I’d also want to be very cautious about an org administering its service in a religious environment (church, mosque, etc.). I feel strongly that any services provided should be entirely separate from religious activities.

Conceptually, I think its fine to support religious orgs providing social services, but in reality very difficult to monitor at this point and easy prey for subtle coercive acts…

In this case, my biggest concern is the religious component of the ‘five-pronged program’. Do you know the specifics of this?

Hope you are doing well!

~Justin

Justin Stone
Managing Director
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the subject matter of these books?

Are they in religious context?
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Mr. Masih from Nirali Kitaben (NK) regarding our questions.

After my meeting with them, NK had their own brain storming session. They feel like the book-binding unit construction is of higher priority than the Pashto translation. They discussed their wish list and are currently working with an architect to design the new facility. The project specific costs and breakdown questions, etc will be given to us one the designs and specifics have all been worked out. For the moment the Pashto translation project is being shelved.

Here are some answers to the questions raised at the meeting:

how much does the project cost? Information will be sent to us after planning phase has been completed by NK

how many people are involved with the project? breakdown by gender, age?
Saima, I am not sure that I understand this question. Do we want information regarding the people that will be working in the binding unit only, in NK overall or the people managing the program? The main people that are going to be running the project are Mr. Masih Masih, the Architect and other NK folks.

how do they choose the communities in which they work?
In general NGOs come to NK with a specific community in mind. In some cases, communities having heard of NK approach them directly. The community identifies people that will be tutors, and NK provides them with the training. NK themselves, also sometimes choose communities that they feel are needy. This is done through informal ‘surveys’, word-of-mouth, news, etc.

can you expand on the process of each of the projects? who/what/when/where/how
Saima, could you explain this question to me

book binding:
how many books are they binding per person per day? what will the new facilities allow them to do?
Mr. Masih will be getting ball-park figures for the number of bindings per person per day. He also mentioned that over the last few months, they have found that the binding production has gone up significantly (they don’t have real figures on this either. Mr. Masih will see if he can get us some numbers on this as well). This increase in production was realized after moving to the new facility and as the people working in the binding unit are now more comfortable with the binding process.

how many people will be able to bind books after the expansion?
This estimate will be given to us as part of the formal project proposal, once the planning phase of the project has been completed

outside of construction costs, what other costs are associated with this project? how long will the project take?
Again this information will be provided once NK is done with the planning phase of this project

are these books sold to the students engaging in the literacy classes, or are they given to them? can the books be bought in the market without taking the literacy classes? how much are the books if sold? where does the revenue go?

Most of the times the NGOs buy the books from NK and then distribute them to the students. NK encourages NGO to have the students pay some amount for the books, so as to promote participation from the students. For communities that come directly to NK and the communities that NK directly contact, the students buy the books. In some cases NK subsidizes the price of the books. The books can also be bought directly from NK without taking any literacy classes.

In addition to the Literacy Course books, NK publish other books on a wide range of subjects. During the site visit I received Order forms with a list of the book titles and their prices. So as not to clutter this response, I will summarize this information separately. A set of the Literacy books comes to Pak Rs.350.

NK is a non-profit organization. All the revenue from the selling of the books goes back into the organization. One of NK priorities today is become a self-sustainable organization that is able to run with minimum or no outside funding. >

Pashto translation project:

have they looked into other books that are already in Pashto instead of translating new books?
As I mentioned above, the translation of NK books into Pashto has been shelved. Though deriving from the Sindhi books translation, they focus on translating their own books. These books are part of their tried and tested teaching methodology. Though they did make an effort to update content, illustrations, etc to make it more relevant for the Sindhi speakers.

how many books are part of the curriculum? what types of books are these? are there different grade levels of the books, or one standard curriculum?

The Literacy Course Books are divided in four stages plus one book to introduce poetry to the students. In total there are 39 books which are part of the curriculum. Most of the books are stories, but also include educational books.

how long will the translation take? What are being translated?
The Pashto Translation Project has not gone through the planning phase and therefore no real time estimates. I will get the Sindhi books translation time, and we can use that as a guideline.

Only the Literacy Course Books will be translation. No audio aids will be translated since they will conduct in-person training of the tutors.

What impact did the Sindhi translation have on the livelihood of the people? What indicators are used to gauge success?

The Sindhi literacy program has had a transforming impact on the communities using the NK translated books. In fact the demands of the Sindhi books has led to NK opening 2 regional offices in Sind. There is no formal impact-measuring methodology. Though NK is working with several partners who send them reports and feedback on the books and program. NK also makes sites-visits.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the Literacy Course Books, and from the titles it looks like these are religion free. All available titles for the literacy course are listed below. A set of the course books cost Rs. 350, while the "Each One Teach One" kit is Rs. 300.

Inaddition to books and materials associated to the literacy program, NK also publishes a host of other books. During my site visit I received all the NK Order Forms. The order forms have all NK book titles and prices.

Other categories of books that NK publishes:
Health Education Books (40 Titles)
Recipes (6 Titles)
Vocational (5 Titles)
Civics (6 Titles)
Family (6 Titles)
Biographies (6 Titles)
Islamic (3 Titles)
Stories (6 Titles)
Books for Children (6 Titles)
Language Learning (7 Titles plus 2 Audio)
Text Books (6 Titles)
Language Courses

As well as the above, NK does provide Christian Education material such as Biblical Stories (under Naulakha Publications), Teachers Manuals, Student Workbooks and Video/VCD. These books like others are bound by their binding unit, but are not part of the literacy program.

Litracy Course Books
Stage One
New Day Primer (new)
New Day Reader
New Day Health Primer
New Day Health Reader
New Day Enviromental Primser
Let’s Learn to Write
Stage Two
My Home
My Wise Wife
The Model Farmer
Pakistan Our Homeland
Animal Stories
Jungle Stories
Injuries
Children’s Accidents
Environment
Rustom’s Household
Grow Vegetables
Stage Three
Stories of Proverbs
Quarrelling
Queen of the House
Bribery, Influence
Shadows of Sorrow
Pollution
What is my Name
Arithmetic Part-1
Clean Water
Blood Pressure
Stage Four
The Housefly
Dowry
Debt is a Disease
Write a Letter
Arithmetic Part-II
The Way to Success
Caring for A Sick Child
What Shall We Eat?
Sanitation
Family Planning Hints
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Poetry
Pankhrian
Saima Gowani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: For Nadia: (my responses are italicized) Reply with quote

Hi Nadia, my responses to your questions below

how much does the project cost? Information will be sent to us after planning phase has been completed by NK

ok, please give us an estimate when you have it, so we can discuss it with the team here.
Saima, I am not sure that I understand this question. Do we want information regarding the people that will be working in the binding unit only, in NK overall or the people managing the program? The main people that are going to be running the project are Mr. Masih Masih, the Architect and other NK folks.

how many people would be impacted by this program? Correct me if i'm wrong, but the people doing bookbinding are the ones that NK is trying to teach new skills to, so that they will have jobs and a marketable skill, right. i thought that this job was mostly done by men, but women in teh community have also started doing this work. my understanding is that these women are from poor communities, and NK is trying to help them build their skillsets and also employ them. is this all correct?
so, presently, how many people does NK employ presently for this purpose? after the expansion, how many more people will it be able to impact?

In general NGOs come to NK with a specific community in mind. In some cases, communities having heard of NK approach them directly. The community identifies people that will be tutors, and NK provides them with the training. NK themselves, also sometimes choose communities that they feel are needy. This is done through informal ‘surveys’, word-of-mouth, news, etc.

can you expand on the process of each of the projects? who/what/when/where/how
Saima, could you explain this question to me

i think you explained this briefly above. what criteria does NK use to judge which communities it shoudl work in? does it always take the recommendations of the NGO, or do they do their own do-dilligence on the needs of the community? how do they choose between two communities that might need assistance? once the community is chosen, then what happens? is there an introductory meeting? who sets the goals of the work that NK will do? who creates a timeline? who manages the work? who makes sure that everything is on task? if NK decides to work with a community that has been recommended by an NGO, how long does the NGO stay involved? how much say do they have in what NK wants to do?

nadia, when you get their intial project proposal, can you verify that they are providing us at least the following information: number of books being bound (daily estimates), cost of construction, overhead costs (with expansion - electricity, furniture, etc) number of workers employed, maintenance and repair costs, any additional costs associated with this project. i'm sure their proposal should include these descriptive stats.

thanks much for your help. sorry i was unclear earlier. let me know if you have any questions,

Smile
Saima
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saima,

I have sent the NK folks the list of things we expect from them in their project proposal. They are gathering these stats for us. They will be sending us the blue-prints of the book-binding unit with the project proposal in a few days.

So, for clarification on their earlier reponse:

Today they have a handful of people working in the book binding unit. They have two shifts with about 4-5 people per shift. When I went to visit there were 4 people working: 2 men, 2 women. NK is limited right now by the facility itself, and once they have their new binding unit they are planning to have three shifts with more people per shift. Also they are planning to focus on hiring and training more women.

NK really does not have a set criteria to determine the communities that they are working in. They are either contacted by community folks who want to set up a adult-lit school or NK hears/reads about an area that they feel that they can have impact. In both cases, NK will talk to the community leaders, identify tutors within the community and train them. The tutors may have to come to the NK offices in Lahore for training or NK will go to their community and provide training there. This depends on the arrangements with the community.

For NGOs that come to NK, the NGOs are running the program. They get the training, books, methodology and support from NK, but the NGOs are the ones running the show. For communities that have come directly to NK or are identified by NK, the programs are run and managed by NK themselves. NK works with the community leaders to make sure that things run smoothly. They try to engage the community as much as possible and will eventually hand off the project to them, and they themselves will provide support and periodically conduct site visits.

The goals of the literacy program are set by the community. Do they want basic literacy, additional programs, build a library, etc? These are worked out in NK and community discussions.

I hope this helped. Let me know if there are any additional questions I still have not answered or answered clearly Smile

Take Care!
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do we stand with NK? Are we still waiting for the more detailed proposal from them?
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on NK to give us details on the project. They have the architect drawing on their facilities, including the binding unit. And now they need to work on giving us the dollar amount and some statistical data that we have requested.
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions.. may be coming in a bit late

Have we funded this project yet?
Do we have any documents on this project?

Mr Ghaznavi @ LUMS wants any dosuments that we may have. So if these docs are available kindly post them here so i can email it to them or email them to Mr Ghaznavi @ dawood@lums.edu.pk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: