Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Aziz Jehan Begum (ajb) Trust Complex For The Blind.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Aziz Jehan Begum (AJB) Trust Complex for the Blind. Reply with quote

Dear Team,

Please find below the preliminary documents pertaining to the AJB Trust Complex for the Blind.

Best of luck to the Project Team!

Regards,

Khurram
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: AJB Blind Trust Project Kick - Off Call Details Reply with quote

Am posting the kick off call details for reference purposes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Naima Hasan wrote:

Hello All,

Hope everyone’s doing well. Thank you for agreeing to evaluate the AJB Blind Trust Project proposal. I am writing to introduce you to the team members on this project and confirm the scheduled project kick-off call on Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 12 pm EST/9 am Pacific time/9 pm Pakistan time/12 am Beijing time.

Please note the dial-in information for this call:

Dial in +1 (760) 569-7676 (via phone) | pin: 386686# (via Skype)
This dial-in allows users to use Skype to join the call. In order to use Skype to join the call please follow the following steps:
1. Download/install skype
2. Add freeconferencecallhd.7676 as a contact
3. At the time of the conference call, call this contact
4. On being prompted, use the Skype dial pad to enter the pin code

The project related documents are attached here for your review.

The Project Team includes:

Naveed Ahmad

Naveed will be the Project Team lead on his. He has been volunteering with ADP since 2009 and is a part of the leadership team as well. Outside of ADP, Naveed is an Associate Consultant with Dalberg Global Development Advisors in San Francisco. Prior to this, he has worked with Bain & Company as well as in Kenya researching multiple use water systems for MIT’s Poverty Action Lab. Naveed holds a B.S. in Engineering Physics from UC Berkeley. Naveed can be reached at +1 917 477 9938

Jazib Zahir

Jazib is trained in electrical engineering and business management. He is currently working as COO of Tintash, a Pakistan based startup developing software applications for mobile and social platforms. He also teaches university Physics and provides career counseling to A-level students. His past work experience includes stints in telecommunications engineering, business development for a software house, online marketing and content writing. This will be Jazib’s first project evaluation experience with ADP. Jazib can be reached at +92 321 400 9730

Isfandiyar Shaheen

Isfandiyar has been involved with ADP earlier as well during his time in the US. He has an undergrad in economics and math from a liberal arts school.He has been an investment banker at a boutique firm in New York for 3 yrs. He then set up a start-up Pakistan, which he then sold off to Fauji Foundation and now he runs and investment banking group for a Fauji Foundation subsidiary. This is his first project evaluation team experience with ADP. Isfandiyar can be reached at +92 321 854 6121

The EC for the project includes:

Natasha Qureshi (PEC)

Natasha joined ADP in 2005 and currently serves on the Permanent Evaluation Committee. She has been involved in several projects, including Arshad Public School and Al-Qasim biogas plants. A Fulbright scholar, Natasha holds an MBA and an M.Eng degree in Computer Science from Cornell University. She has worked at Citibank in Pakistan, prior to which she completed her undergraduate degree from LUMS. She grew up in Lahore and currently resides in Toronto where she is an Assoc brand manager for Reckitt Benckiser, a consumer goods company. Natasha can be contacted at +1-647-929-7755

Khurram Jamali (EC)

Khurram is a returning volunteer and has evaluated several projects with ADP as well as served as our treasurer (2005-2006). He holds a Bachelors degree in Economics from Middlebury college. His work experience entails working as an analyst at an economic consulting firm (Analysis Group) in Boston and DC. He has also worked as an associate at HBL investment banking and is currently a manager at HBL Beijing, originating Chinese investment into Pakistan. He can be contacted at + 86 (134) 8884-7754

With introductions complete, here's some important information for everyone.

Forums: Please direct all your input and document attachments to http://forums.developpakistan.org/viewtopic.php?t=281. You will need to register using your full name before you can post. Contact me if your account is not activated within 24 hours.

Work Plan: In order to complete the evaluation in a timely fashion, it is imperative that we stick to the work plan outlined below. Although there may be unavoidable delays at times, efforts should be made to complete all tasks by the listed deadlines to make the process as efficient and productive as possible.

September 8 – 18: Project orientation, review of materials, identification of key issues.

September 18: Project kick-off call. Each PT and EC member is requested to read the project materials and post his/her questions on the forums by Friday September 24.
Project Team: Contact NGO, carry out budget diligence, contact referees or any relevant third-parties to gather information and start filling out the project summary form. Obtain NGO's financial documents. Upload a working draft of the summary form on the forums prior to the first project call.

Oct 9, 12 pm EST/9 am Pacific time/9 pm Pak time/12 am Beijing time/ : First project call. Please mark it on your calendars. If a site visit is authorized, let me know so that arrangements can be made. PT and EC to identify key questions for site visit. PT to fill out Pre-funding Site Visit questionnaire (will be given to you at the time).

Refer project for legal screening. Finalize the project summary form including monitoring plan and success metrics (if applicable) and upload it on the forum prior to the call. If there are any questions/concerns, please feel free to contact me.

October 23, 12pm EST/9 am Pacific time/9pm Pak time/ 12 am Beijing time: Second project call. Please mark it on your calendars. PT and EC to reach a consensus on whether to fund the project or not. The decision may be deferred to a third call in case there are outstanding issues that warrant further investigation before a fair decision is made.

November 2, 12pm EST/9 am Pacific time/9pm Pak time/ 12 am Beijing time: Third project call (if applicable). Decide on any remaining issues and come up with a final decision on the proposal.

If there are any questions/concerns, please contact me.

Good luck!

Regards,
Isfandiyar Shaheen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Forums Acct Approved Reply with quote

Team,

My forums login is now working, and will ensure I check in regularly. Is it possible to get e mail notifications when a new post shows up?

Looking forward to receiving the documents and next steps.

Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box below the text box you are writing in.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Email sent to AJB on 5th Aug 2010 Reply with quote

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 00:49:35 +0800
Subject: Re: AJB Trust Complex for the Blind
To: ather_nizami@hotmail.com

Dear Ather Ashraf Nizami Sahib,

My name is Khurram Jamali and I am a volunteer for Association for the Development of Pakistan (ADP). I am writing to you pertaining to the Project Proposal Form submitted on behalf of AJB Trust for the Blind and specifically for Aziz Jehan Begum Trust Complex for the Blind.

To give you a brief understanding of my task, I am volunteering for ADP's Project Evaluation Committee and am tasked with conducting preliminary due diligence on whether the project fits ADP's funding criteria. If I deem the project viable on a preliminary basis, I will refer the project to a larger project committee who will delve deeper into the project before deciding whether or not we will fund it.

With that said, I was reviewing the product proposal as well as information on your NGO and wanted to request clarification on some aspects.

1) As per my understanding, the total cost of the expansion project, i.e., the AJB Trust Complex for the blind is in the vicinity of PKR 280 million. Can the computer lab portion of this expansion (which you have requested us to finance) be considered as a project by itself? And if so why?

2) In addition we are trying to gauge how critical the component of the project we will be financing is for your Complex. In order to have a better understanding, please clarify:

a) What will the computers, printer and photocopier be used for? How will they fit into classes (in terms of their usage) and therefore, how critical are they for the success of your expanded complex?

b) In the current rented premises what equivalent smaller scale computer set up do you have and what role does it play in the curriculum offered?

3) While I am sure your organization is making a big difference in Pakistan, are there specific ways that you measure your impact on society/ individuals and is there any way of altering these metrics to measure the impact of the investment ADP will make?

I look forward to your response.

Warm Regards,

Khurram K. Jamali
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Response received from AJB - Aug 16th Reply with quote

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM, ather nizami <ather_nizami@hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear Mr Khurram Jamali

I am Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions as I was busy with Zakat collection Campaign during the month of Ramadan.Given under are the answers to your questions.

1. The AJBTrust Complex for the Blind consists of 11 two to four storied buildings in an area of 5.5 acres. In these 11 buildings one important building is the School building with a covered area of about 3.5 kanals. You can imagine how big it would be. Nearly every room is sponsored with a donation of Rs. 600,000.00 so will be the computer lab. The furniture for this room will also be donated and we are requesting ADP to donate the equipment. The equipment itself can be made a project by itself. Each item of the equipment will marked as donated by ADP.

2. Aziz Jehan Begum Trust Institute for the Blind was the first in Pakistan to formally start computer education for the blind in Pakistan since 1997. It is the first to import screen reading software and train the blind on its use and the first to make computer science compulsory and each of its its student has to compulsorily appear in this subject in Matriculation examination even though it is optional even to the sighted students. This subject is not compulsory in any other school for the blind. All our students have been doing exceedingly well and in the last Matriculation examination of 2010 the marks obtained were from 75 to 89 percent. In our present rented accommedation also we have computers loaded with screen reading programs where students from 6th class onwards work regularly and master the use of this most important modern educational device

This organisation has brought a revolutionary change in the education, social status and life of blind students. to cite a few cases:
1. One of our student appeared in the CSS written Examination by a computer and obtained 6th position in overall result. She joined the Foreign Service of Pakistan and topped the training program, again using the computer. Presently she is working at a very sensitive and important desk of UNO in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
2. Three of our ex students are working as bank officers in Standard Chartered Bank where the computer is their most important device.
3. One of our student is Incharge of a Centre for Special Students and educates blind students in the use of computers and also teaches blind students in a centre of LABARD.
4. Two of our blind students were admitted in a a college in USA where they have obtained a BA degree in Software Engineering and will be joining graduate schools.
5. We have students in Fast University and Punjab College taking computer education
6. Two of our students passed their PCS examinations and are employed as lecturers by the Punjab Government.

We strongly feel that computer education for students with visual disabilities is the most useful source of education to help them in maintaining financial independence. All the equipment requested will help the blind students to achieve what other such students have achieved. Will this not be remarkable and well worth participating?

With best regards,

Ather Ashraf Nizami
Chief Operating Officer
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Email Exchange with AJB on Aug 28th 2010 Reply with quote

To: ather_nizami@hotmail.com

Ather Sahib,

Many thanks for your response. While I have follow up questions at this point, I think it will be better for ADP to first discuss the information already provided by your esteemed organization internally and decide if we can move forward with the analysing the project in greater depth. I will try my best to make it as quick as possible.

In addition, I would like to inquire if you foresee the construction of the complex to be affected in any way by the floods? This may be in multiple ways, such as funding, land availability, government interest, etc.

Regards,

Khurram

Dear Mr Khurrum Jamali.

By the Grace of ALLAH(S.W.T), we have the land, the finances and expect Government's interest(which has always been with us)to construct the double storey main school building over a covered area of 28000 sqft (3.5 kanals).This construction is going on smoothly. As regards floods, presently we do not see any possibility. Allah knows best.
Regards.
Ather Ashraf Nizami.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Photograph of main building under construction - Aug 28th Reply with quote

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM, ather nizami <ather_nizami@hotmail.com> wrote:

Khurrum Sahib,
Attach is the photograph of our under construction of double storey main school building for your reference.
Ather.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Documentary Request - Sept 12th, 2010 Reply with quote

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Khurram Jamali 张可容 خرّم جمالی <khurram.jamali@gmail.com> wrote:

Ather Sahib,

Assalamolaikum. I hope you are enjoying what should be the second day of Eid for you.

I wanted to inform you that over the next 2 months or so, the ADP team will be moving forward very swiftly in deciding whether or not ADP will be financing the computer lab and what our key terms will be. Generally, the support and responsiveness of the NGO in the provision of key information in a timely manner is a crucial factor in determining ADP interest. Therefore I request that you please identify the main/ secondary contacts at AJB that ADP volunteers may contact and brief them on our plans. From our end, Mr. Naveed Ahmed (cc'ed herein) will be the main contact with Mr. Jazib Zahir and Mr. Isfandiyar Shaheen being the secondary contacts.

In order to allow ADP to move forward quickly, I would like to share a preliminary documentary request with you so that you may start putting together the required information. I suggest that you may share the documents that are immediately available with us as soon as possible, and work on putting the remaining documents together (generally a timeline of when you believe the documents will be ready can be helpful in allowing ADP to adequately plan our evaluation timeline). The list of documents is as follows:

0. Scanned copy of original NPO registration certificate
1. Audited Financials (e.g., Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Cash Flow Statement)
2. Donor list, including donation amounts, for the past 5 years.
3. List of employees in form of organizational chart
4. Student list for last 5 years, with clear indication of those students that have received job placement
5. Information about the AJB Complex
a. Financial information about complex - cost projections and available financing
b. Implementation plan for complex (construction timeline, program development for new facilities, expected student body size)
6. Current list of Board of Directors and contact information (there are two different lists on the website, and we'd like the most up-to-date information so that we can arrange potential interviews)

If you require any clarification, you may contact us at your convenience. We look forward to working with you on this important project.

Kind Regards,

Khurram
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Preliminary Response to Documentary Request - Sept 15th Reply with quote

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Khurram Jamali 张可容 خرّم جمالی <khurram.jamali@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Naveed,

Please note Mr. Ather's contact information as provided below and advise him how you wish to proceed.

Regards,

Khurram

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM, ather nizami <ather_nizami@hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear Mr Khurrum,Assalaamalaikum.

The main contact at AJBTrust will be myself. My cell No 0300-8801121- Ptcl No 35862787-88. Mr Muhammad Atif Manager Admin & Accounts will be the secondary contact.Ptcl No 35862787.Will it be possible if you can send the mailing address so that I can send you the required document by post / courrier.

Regards.

Ather.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Oct 9th - First Project Call Reply with quote

Participants:
Naveed, Isfandiyar, Jazib, Natasha & Khurram

Update:
Awaiting documentation requested from NGO. In addition, both Isfanidyar and Jazib have been unable to reach Mr. Ather Nizami via his mobile phone. In addition, it was concluded that the team will move forward with the site visit rather than wait for the requested documents, in the interest of time. However, circulation of list of due diligence questions before site visit is important.

Follow up Tasks:
Naveed to share comprehensive list of due diligence questions
Natasha to share site visit form
Khurram to upload email from prior interaction with NGO
Jazib to follow up with NGO for site visit, as well as liaise with reference from Bank Alfalah
Once documents are received, the diligence questions to be split up.

Best,

Khurram
Jazib Zahir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: First Site Visit - 16 October Reply with quote

In terms of my impressions of the five criteria based on this first interaction:

1. Critical Need: It seems to be the only such institute in Pakistan, the new campus will serve the whole country including hostels for boys and girls, a separate kids campus etc. They wouldn't be pursuing the project if they didn't believe there were many more people who needed to be served, so I think this is pretty High

2. Social Return: All of their 37 graduates are either placed in school or in jobs, they are definitely allowing people to be productive and doing a great job of staying touch with them. Apparently one of the grads in Government College manages the setup for handicapped people there, I think this would be High too

3. Measurability: One way to measure this is in terms of placement. It will become a bigger challenge for them to place and track their graduates as the number increases. But I wouldn't consider it a shortcoming if they don't place people in typical jobs/schools as long as they are giving them some form of opportunity. We probably won't quantify the relative value of placements.
Plus while it is is important, the computer lab is only part of the overall operation and I don't see a clear metric that connects to the computer lab, unless they were specifically training people for computer based jobs. Maybe we would need a way to define the level of computer literacy obtained by the graduates. Overall I consider this Medium.

4. Sustainability: This is the real question mark in my mind. On the plus, they've managed till now largely on grants and donations. But the plan to raise funds is not changing. Their boards and trustees will make sure they get the funds they need but it doesn't seem like it's going to come from the students or another sustainable process (profits on investments, receipts from institute are among the least significant items on their balance sheet). Once the equipment phases out, they will use more grant money to replace it. So this is Low in my mind.

5. Credibility: This is High all the way, I did ask some of the related faculty at LUMS and they know about it plus given the setup and extent of marketing material it's pretty clear that they have well defined plans that they have managed to successfully execute.

Next steps:

I'll meet him again this week on Wednesday or Friday to pick up this year's financials and visit the school. I'm planning to find out more about how the lab connects to the curriculum since establishing its discrete value will probably help, I'll also probe him on sustainability but my impression so far is that they don't factor that into their planning and can't change it very easily.
Jazib Zahir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: AJB Second Site Visit - October 22 2010 Reply with quote

1. The current school itself is in Township at least 15 mins from their main office. It's basically a large house converted to a school. I took some pictures of the exterior playground but decided against photographing the inside to avoid interfering with classes in progress. They can provide me with less obtrusive photos whenever needed.
It's really incredible: they've fitted the school with some wonderful technology including braille machines on each desk and a repair team, a scanner that always scans "right side up" and speaks out what it just scanned, listening tables so that you can listen to books being read to you, a whole library of braille books, a printing press churning out braille books, computers with headsets that speak to you while you type. Students use all kinds of mechanical and electrical instruments at different ages to practice constructing in Braille. The staff is very knowledgeable and the senior people have specifically trained to cater to education of the blind. The CEO is a retired army officer and his wife manages the school portion directly. They claim the technology is on par with anything in the United States and they travel their regularly to update their knowledge.

2. I have the financials for the latest years audited by E&Y. I can give you precise figures but just to sum up, they're nearly the same as previous years except the numbers keep going up. Nearly all income comes from donations and grants, nearly all expenses are salaries and fuel.

3. I have details of how much salary students pay. Out of the 87 enrolled students, only 9 are paying the full fees of Rs. 500 per month, some are paying a fraction. The CEO estimates the cost per student of running the place at about Rs. 6,000 per month. Overall the contribution from tuition is negligible and will stay that way under their current plan.

4. I felt it was only fair to discuss measurability and sustainability with them without giving them suggestions or implying ADP expected them, at least this way I would make sure I wasn't missing anything. Their computer lab will be used to provide computer training to students of all classes, they all complete a practical exam in every class. They also appear for the practical portion of the Metric computer exam based on this exam and the number of students getting a first division will give a measure of the contribution of the lab.
Also, the number of people who place into jobs that require computer skills.

5. They are not going to charge the students anything to use the lab and will rely on donations wherever they come from. They certainly have skilled staff to manage repairs and operations but whenever they need new machines the funding will have to come through their usual channels. So if we define sustainability as the project generating the funds to sustain itself, it will not qualify. But if we define it as something that will continue to have value beyond the initial ADP contribution, I think it qualifies.

6. In terms of the current state of the lab, they have 3 Dells in good shape which are their primary systems. The rest are second hand and haven't served them as well in the long run. They use a mix of expensive Microsoft software for the blind and some freeware which can cover some applications. When I was there, 2 people were using the lab to type based on aural instructions. But obviously this capacity will not be enough when they have more students.

7. At this point, I'm already emotionally attached enough to the team and students that I would find it very hard not to support funding them. Rs. 800,000 after all is just a small portion of what they are raising but it adds something that really benefits the students within an organization that is obviously professional and well run. In fact, I would recommend that ADP use its expertise to make the following additional contributions:
a. Use contacts at Microsoft to see if we can provide them some savings on the software
b. They are interested in running the new complex on solar power since they can generate the up front money needed but long term savings have value for them. We can provide them some technical expertise in vendor selection given that a few of us have a background in the field.
c. Arrange to involve local students who are computer savvy and can develop creative projects for the students. If the ADP funding doesn't work out, I'm sure 3 high schools can come together and raise 800,000 between 800 students and take ownership of the lab and its curriculum planning.
d. Help publicize the place and bring recognition to all the great things they are doing
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Next steps Reply with quote

Jazib,

I think you have done a great job with the site visit. However, in order to streamline the methodology, I think we need to incorporate your comments into the site visit form. Natasha, any update on the same?

Sorry for not making it to the call last week. I think as a group, let's try to ensure that we exchange an email one or two days before future calls. I believe we are all busy enough to miss the date by mistake but an email a day or two before the talk will ensure that we dont forget.

Jazib, have your received all the documents requested from the NGO?

Also, Naveed is really tied up so just wondering if one of the other project team members have a list of the questions we had compiled in the first call?

Regards,

Khurram
Jazib Zahir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Site Visit Form Reply with quote

Here's the form from the site visit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: