Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Re-opening Poll: Awaze Niswan - Establishing Kids Nursery

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you support this much-needed idea of establishing a sustainable and model nursery-cum-home school for 150 (4-8 year of age) children of broken families at District Shiekhupura?
Vote closed!
Yes, I would like to support these children of broken families
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
No, I would not like to create this nursery-cum-home for poor children
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

Jehanzeb Noor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re-opening Poll: Awaze Niswan - Establishing Kids Nursery Reply with quote

Before reading on, please note: I was in Lahore for 2 weeks at the end of Jan 07 when I saw their detailed plans, and did the initial due diligence back in Aug, 2006. I have also been corresponding quite a bit with the NGO and they cannot proceed without ADP's help.

Besides the initial proposal, I am also attaching a new one-pager. Also, some of the answers to previous questions are found in the older posts under projects. I am hoping you would vote so we could close the project.

Thanks, JehanZeb

Awaz-e-Niswan (Voice of Women) is a non-profit, secular womenís organization working for the transformation of vulnerable sections of society particularly single mothers heading families into progressive, efficient and dynamic society and promote human respect and dignity for the advancement of a just society. To achieve its goals, it has been involved in the sector of education, health/ reproductive health, enterprise development and legal awareness/ assistance.

Since its birth in 2001, it has been endeavoring to empower single mothers and their family members by providing them opportunities in the above-mentioned sectors for appropriate formation and leadership through seminars, consultations, and training programs.

This profile group of women was found prone to poverty for many reasons including their marital status, lack of access to productive resources and income (land, credit, farming and technical assistance, wage-labor and employment, regular income), the decline of the traditional family support system, the lack of access to services (healthcare and education), size and composition of household (higher dependency burdens) etc.

They were found vulnerable because they face the challenge of making market oriented activities compatible with their domestic responsibilities. Being unskilled, illiterate and their dual role as mothers and workers, the type of jobs available to them is very few. The job option is only within the informal sector since the religious-cum-cultural setting confine females to jobs where sex seclusion can be assured. One of the most likely options is to work as a domestic servant (in peopleís homes doing all sorts of domestic chores).

It was reported that women are insecure in the informal sector and can be exploited easily. The exploitation varies from harassment at workplace to rape or sexual abuse. Knowing the fact of these problems, women still work in the informal sector as have no other option.

On the other hand, children suffer a lot in the absence of their mothers especially those who cannot take care of themselves. Mothers also remain worried for their small oneís during their working hours. During a meeting with women, it was suggested to start a nursery cum home school for small children. This will not only provide relief for single mothers to concentrate on their work but would also provide a safe and secure place for children to stay and study in the absence of mother. Therefore, it was envisaged to open up a nursery cum home school at District Sheikhupura in a working area of Awaz-e-Niswan.
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jehanzeb,

I have voted No on this project. Here are my reasons:

1) As far as I know, the ADP Project Coordinators (Usman and Mubarik) have not given sign-off for this project to be presented for a vote. They are in charge of making sure that the basic evaluation requirements have been met, and I am not comfortable by-passing them.

2) The PC has not attended our last three monthly calls. Hence, there hasn't been a discussion of the project amongst the broader group. It also raises some concern around the PC's level of commitment to ADP in advocating the project.

3) I don't know what the PC's involvement will be in terms of follow-up and monitoring.

4) I am uncomfortable with the NGO's responses on how/whether this can achieve financial sustainability.

5) I don't know whether anyone has conducted anti-terrorism screening of the NGO, which is required for project approval.

If we can resolve the issues above, I am definitely interested in reconsidering the project.

Best,
Tarim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: