Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Public Girls High School Project - Boston

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Public Girls High School Project - Boston Reply with quote

Proposal (See attached letter from the school's principal)

Title: Public Girls High School (Green Town -Lahore)
Submitter: Ali Raza Khan
NGO/Group: PNYS (Ali Raza) http://www.pnys.com/
Email: connectwithali@yahoo.com
Phone: 011-92-300-944-0493

Proposal Details by Ali Raza

I would also like to share with you an urgent request (attached) I received from a Principal of a private school in green town Lahore. She has been contacting us for sometime to share her problems in continuing a school for poor and orphan children. She has requested us to take over the school as she is running out of resources to continue the activities of the school. The school is situated in green town Lahore and currently providing education to approximately 250 children. The numbers have gone down as many of the children are getting sick because of the condition of the school. Currently, the school is located in a rented building. The condition of the building is extremely bad. All the rooms in the building are without doors allowing cold waves to enter into classrooms. Besides, this it is getting very difficult for the Principal to meet the salaries of the staff and the rent of the building. I have personally visited the location and met with the parents of the children and staff. They all were pleading to do something for the continuation of the school. I am really feeling helpless at the moment. The teachers are currently getting no salary as they are facing problems to generate income to meet their salaries.

After meeting with the Principal, staff and the parents, I believe that with little investment we can not only help this school to continue but at the same time we will be able to generate good income from the school to meet its expenses. Currently, the school building is closed down after 1.30 pm if we start and after school vocational program with the help of teachers for other students of the same areas we will be able to generate good income and will be able to train local girls to further enhance their capacity. What we need a little contribution monthly from a donor of amounting US$200 (for a period of one year) to continue the activities of the school and approximately US$600 to renovate the building and provide some equipment to the local staff to start income garneting activities. Donor can provide this amount on monthly basis. I am confident that after one year the school will be able to meet its own expenses. Our organization will be very happy to provide supervision and trainings to the local staff at no cost since we are already implementing a program in green town so we will be able to meet the administrative and program costs through our ongoing activities. All the above mentioned funds will go directly to the said school. I am attaching herewith the request of the Principal. I think this is something very important and urgent and I should share it with you, may be you will be able to identify any person, family or organization that can individually or collectively support this project for poor and neglected children.

Project Sustainability Plan

After listening to the parents, teachers, children and Principal as well as analyzing the current infrastructure and credibility of the school in the area, we are very hopeful that we will be able to help this school to stand on its own feet. I have also analyzed the factors that have contributed in the beginning of the downfall and disintegration of school. Our sustainability plan will aim at taking following actions:

Setting up a vocational program: According to this plan, we will initiate skill building programs during non-school hours for young girls and boys. Currently, the school is closed at 1 .30 and after that there is no activity being carried out in the school premises. Moreover, there is hardly any vocational program being carried out by any organization in the same community. The vocational program will not only provide a good opportunity to train and empower other young people but also to generate some income to meet the expenses of the school. It will not put any extra burden on the budget as the current teaching staff will be trained and empower first to run and led this program in the evening. The current teachers (approximately 10) will also be enrolled as Pakistan National Youth Service volunteers with us that mean we will continuously arrange or provide trainings to them for their capacity building. This vocational program will likely to offer trainings in computer, stitching, knitting, first aid, beautician, teaching, cooking, english language etc. We will start from at a small level and build-up gradually in the light of the experiences. I have already included the costs of purchasing three computers (used as they are new learners no need to buy expensive and new computers) and stitching machines in the budget I submitted to you for renovation that is US$600. I have also talked today with a shopkeeper who sells used doors, fans and windows, he will offer us a very good discount for the school. I hope that we will be able to able to meet the most urgent needs of the school as well as to start a vocational program in the same cost (US$600).

Establishing a committee of the local stakeholders: We will establish a committee of the local stakeholders to participate in the programs of the school with a view to improve and strengthen its on-going programs. We will try to bring in businessmen and elected representatives in the committee in order to develop a broad based ownership of the school.

Building the capacity of the local staff: As mentioned above that we will enroll the current teachers as our Pakistan National Youth Service Volunteers and will arrange and provide capacity building opportunities for them so that they can continuously sharpen up their knowledge and skills for improving the quality of the services being offered during the school and non-school hours.

Charging nominal fee from the students: We will continue to aim at charging nominal fee from those students who are in position to pay the school fee.

Setting up a tuck shop : We will also establish a small tuck shop within the school to offer various goods to children like food items and stationary. It will help us to generate some income.

Advocacy and collaboration : we will share and highlight the activities of the school at various levels to build new partnerships and resources for introducing new programs and strengthening the existing ones.

I have shared your response with the Principal of the school, as she is following-up with me every day, she was so happy on the telephone I can't tell you. The school is currently off because of winter holidays and will re-open in the first week of January. If you think that the process of approving this project will take sometime please let me know in the meantime I will try to purchase wood items (used windows and doors) for the school to protect children from the winter. I will get the reimbursements later.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADP VA would like to take the lead on this project. We are currently in discussion with some ideas to add to the proposal, for Ali to comment on.

We will try our best to fast track the process and share our ideas asap, seeing as the winter term is just around the corner. Additionally, we might need a vote on whether everynoe is ok with ADP VA borrowing the project costs from ADP with the intent of raising the money in the next couple of months.

best,

Khurram
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news VA Team! This is a good size project for VA to take on as their first project.

I am okay with your proposal of borrowing funds from ADP if the project gets approved. Once you fully adopt the project, it will be easier to build an external donor base. (The VA members, of course, have a stake in the development of Pakistan and should be recurring donors themselves to start a small pool of funds)

As a next step, someone from VA should become a PC for this project and get in touch with Ali Raza to get answers/feedback on various issues. You can download a sample project evaluation doc that can used for this project

http://forums.developpakistan.org/viewtopic.php?p=1023#1023
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Contact and response to YES Network Reply with quote

Idea

Respone to Ali Khan of YES Network's initial proposal with VA Chapter's proposed amendments to attain sustainabality of project.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Jan 23, 2006 2:25 AM
Subject: Re: Update from ADP
To: Khurram Jamali <treasurer@developpakistan.org>

Khurram,

Thank you for putting together the proposed project in a very nice shape. The presentation looks excellent. I have gone through the presentation in particular the points you have raised to further strengthen the sustainability plan of the project. I found your ideas and comments very useful and functional. I have had held several meetings with the volunteers, principal and the owner of the building of the school to re-build their confidence and hope as well as to learn more about their challenges, strengths and views about the possibility of setting up the vocational center. The good news is that after discussions with the owner of the building of the school we have been able to convince her to arrange resources for the renovation of the building from her pocket since school is not in a position to bear that burden. She has agreed to cover the expenses of purchasing doors and window glasses for the rooms in the school as well as to allow us to set up a vocational program in a room that is currently in her possession. She has agreed to do the above on the condition that she will be paid the monthly rent on time and without any delays. I have also talked to the teachers to assess their level of interest and enthusiasm to re-strengthen the school. Not surprisingly, many of them were found very depressed as they have been working without salaries for last two months and they are facing pressures from parents and family members to discontinue their activities. After hearing all our plans they were so excited and motivated and have re-grouped to start planning and sharing ideas with their peers to involve them in vocational program.

Your suggestion to explore feasibility of establishing a café and to offer free books is very practical. I have shared it with the team (service volunteers and the principal) and they were excited about it. After discussing these ideas in detail, we thought that it would be worth trying to establish first café for girls and women in the area. At the same time, we have to be very careful while marketing it because currently café's in Pakistan especially in Lahore do not enjoy good reputation among people as majority of the people look at them with suspicion and consider a place for spoiling children and youth. In Lahore, government has cracked down on many cafes and found children and young people involved in highly detrimental activities hence we would be very careful while marketing it or may be we should think of offering this services under the cover of a vocational program. Your idea of providing free books to children is excellent and also discussed in the group. The group was of the view that if we set up a small library in the school that will offer school books and other type of books on rent that would be very helpful also to generate some income. In the light of the new ideas shared we have revised the breakdown of the budget.

• Equipment for Vocational program (Rs60 = $1):

• 5 Fans @ Rs900: $ 75.00
• 10 Computers @ Rs5,000: $ 833.33
• 1 Computer server @ 15,000 $ 250.00
• Setting up of telephone line $ 70.00
• Local Area Networking of computers $ 85.00
• 2 Stitching Machines@ Rs1,500: $ 50.00
• Setting up of computer stations $ 55.00
• Setting up of a small library $ 100

Estimated Up-front Cost: $1518

Item Expense (per month) Monthly US$ Annual Total in US$
Bills (Electricity, gas and water) 2000 $33.34 $400.00
Rent of the building 7000 $116.67 $1,400.00
Salary of 10-12 teachers 12000 $200.00 $2,400.00
Stationary 1000 $16.67 $200.00
Miscellaneous (hospitality)
Maintenance of the computers
Telephone and internet charges 1200
3000 $20.00
$ 16.67
$ 50 $240.00
$200.00
$ 600

Grand Total (monthly) 27200 $453.00 $5,440.00

TOTAL REQUIRED FROM ADP
$1518 up front
$5,440 @ $403 per month
TOTAL AMOUNT: $6958

1. What are the costs of internet connectivity in the area where the school is found?

The costs of internet connectivity will be approximately US$ 70. It includes installation of a separate telephone line for internet connection. In addition to the setting up costs, an average of US$50 per month will be required to cover the telephone and internet charges. The total costs to fund this component will be approximately US$670 for the period of one year.

2. What is the educational level of the volunteers involved (especially w.r.t. English)?

The educational level of the eleven volunteers involved including the Principal of the school is following:

Master's Degree Graduation Degree F-A Matriculation Ability to read, write and speak English Computer competency
1 2 4 3 All the service volunteers can read English. Out of eleven, four of them can write and speak English (not fluently) Out of eleven service volunteers, four of them have completed various short courses in computer and well –equipped to teach basic computer operations and also to handle internet operations.

3. Would it be possible to use the same volunteers to monitor a cyber café as an additional means of fund raising?

Yes, (already indicated in response to question 2)

4. What would be the total additional hours that volunteers would be willing to work at current wages?

The service volunteers are willing to dedicate eight hours in a day which would be sufficient to carry out school and vocational program activities.

5. What is the minimum per hourly cost that will need to be met with the maximum number of machines and the maximum number of hours-per-week that can be taught

The computer lab will be established in a separate room that has been recently allowed to use by the owner of the building for a vocational program. The room has a capacity to easily accommodate 12 computers. The vocational program will be offering services both during school hours and non-school hours. It means that we will be able to provide minimum of 48 hours per week to offer range of services including internet and computer teaching. The costs of running the computer center will be reduced by establishing a local area network that will allow using internet facility at all units (computers) at the cost of one internet connection. The costs involved in establishing a vocational center that will have a minimum of 12 computers is covered in the breakdown of the revised budget. It is expected that vocational center will have the capacity to teach computer skill or offer internet services to 120 girls in a day. It means that four lessons of computer training will be offered every day of two hours each. Each lesson will have the capacity to accommodate 30 girls (three per computer station). Volunteers are of the view that girls will be able to pay Rs 100 per month to learn the computer courses. According to the volunteers they have shared it with their peers and many of them have already expressed their interest of joining the center.

6. ARE VOCATIONAL PROGRAMS GOING TO MAKE THIS PROJECT SUSTAINABLE?

Given the situation, I am confident that vocational program will not only help to generate income but also add good name to the school which will eventually contribute in increasing the income from school activities. There are many positives and encouraging factors that can really facilitate in making the school sustainable in a period of one year. It includes the credibility of the school, vacuum existing in the area for a vocational program, number of students already enrolled and above all the interest of the volunteers and the principal to make the school sustainable.

Once the vocational program is launched, we will establish contacts with NGOs and institutions like LUMS to build the capacity of our volunteers and improve the quality of our programs.

Hope all is well with you.

Best wishes,

Ali
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 1/24/06, Ali Khan <connectwithali@yahoo.com> wrote:
Khurram,

Please go ahead and share this with your group. Briefly my feedback about this school is that we should try our level best to help this school going because in case of discontinuation of the school it will have a detrimental impact on the lives of many children who are currently studying in school because these children will not have a second chance. According to the Principal, they have worked with local community for a long time to send their children to school and the sudden end of the school will leave them with no choice other than to become child workers. Keeping in mind the urgency of the situation and local context, YES Network Pakistan has jumped into this project instantly to help this school get going by providing needs-based services and arranging commodities free of cost.

Best wishes,

Ali
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been as diligent as I should've been, but here are a few
questions and concerns:

1. Is $208 (from the PPT) the total monthly or yearly fee charged from
170 students?

2. Why's stationary (on the list of recurring costs) almost as
expensive as the sum of the gas, electricity and water bills?

3. The current enrollment level is 250, out of whch 80 receive free
education. What percentage of these students are expected to enroll in
vocational training?

3. Does the total teacher salary of $200 / month include the hours to
be spent on after school programs? Or are these programs led by
non-paid volunteers?

4. There's a proposal to establish a tuck shop. Who funds this? What
percentage of the revenue does the school get?

5. The new proposal doubles the number of computers, adds the need for
a new telephone line and LAN, and adds two new recurring costs. What
impact would all this usage have on the electricity bill? What's the
age group of the students and what's their current competency in
english (the internet dependent vocational program assumes an
appreciable knowledge of at least written english). I think ten PCS
and ancillary electronics may be an overkill, at least for now.

6. The original PPT mentioned charging students more for pro-active
"guided searches" on the internet. At a philosophical level I hate
this idea. We shouldn't penalize someone because they've shown some
smarts or the inclination to learn. There must be a better way of
handling this issue.

7. The original PPT mentioned charging extra for books not returned.
How was the school planning to enfore this plan and recover the cost?

8. The last email from PNYS itemizes the cost of 10 PCs, but mentions
the use of 12 in the classroom. Do they already have two PCs?

9. How are the computer classes structured? Is it a year long class? A
monthly one? How would the cost per session vary with its duration?

10. The PNYS email mentions that vocational programs will be offered
throughout the day. So, is the current school day not a full school
day? Would doing so impact the educational quality? Would cutting into
a school day impact the teacher salary, especially if the vocational
program is led by non-paid volunteers?

11. The email also projects a fee of Rs. 100 per child for the
computer lessons. What's the projected fee for the sewing machines?

Anwer from ADP VA
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Analysis of the latest figures provided by Ali, before the vote. Omar, can you set up the voting process soon?
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Boston chapter was still pursuing this. Any update?
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar presented it in the meeting on Saturday, and it was well received. I think there are a few more questions that were raised that Omar was going to get answers to before putting it to vote soon.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project is close to a vote; once we receive a final round of responses. The form of the proposal has changes considerably since the above, and we will update here when we have filled in all of the blanks.

~Justin
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Al Mashriq School Update Reply with quote

I spoke with Ali Raza Khan -- our partner who was working on Al Mashriq school project -- and he was able to find a local family who is able and willing to support the school going forward. Here is the feedback from Ali.

"I would like to share with you a good news about Al-mishraq school. The good news is that a well-to-do family has adopted the school after consulting with us and Principal. They have started taking care of all the expenses and also taking steps for the improvement of the school environment. I met with the family members and have encouraged them to have direct interaction with the school since they are based in lahore. A few members of the family has taken the responsbility to run the school along with the Naheed. I am very glad that we have been able to save this school along with your assitance. Thank you for your help and support."

I will take this project off of our under evaluation list and close the file.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news!
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news for the school, and all future students! Omar, thanks for all of the energy you put into this project. Even though ADP did not provide the solution in the end, you ran a very thorough process and brought us to the brink of a well-informed vote. I'm sure the knowledge acquired during this exercise will help us in future proposal debates...

If you follow up with Ali, please express my/our hearfelt wishes for the continuing success of the school...

~Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: