Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Develop The World Now -international Student Ngo Internships

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maham Mela

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Develop the World NOW -international student NGO internships Reply with quote

Dear all,

I'm writing about an initiative that Mubarik and I have started. Please read this because we would both love to have comments, suggestions, criticisms so that we can make this the best we can and take care of gaps before fall quarter starts. It is still in the planning stages and there are details about logistics, applying and funding that I haven't mentioned here simply. I'm attaching a document that describes things in more detail. Mubarik will be posting another message about funding that we would also appreciate feedback on. We would especially like help with:

- identifying any contacts you guys might have in Pakistan or elsewhere for host families, and NGOs. We're looking at Lahore in Pakistan - if you guys know any people who would be willing to host a student for 8 weeks, ot if you know of a way to go about finding them, that would be wonderful.

- Sajjad, I know that you've looked at a lot of NGOs closely so if you could suggest some specific ones, that would be great. I was thinking of Bunyad, Kashf, PRSP (Punjab Rural Support Program) - I'm missing the names of the two we visited. The criteria for NGOs, expectations for and from them, and from host families are described in the document I'm attaching.

- If students will genuinly be interested in applying, especially since this is our first year - and if yes, how many would you venture a guess at?

- Any way you can help us think through things better because you've all been at this longer than either Mubarik or I.

- what timeline we should be looking at for completing tasks and getting funding if we want to send our first group in summer 2006.

NOW is an organization that aims to increase awareness about, and aid in development around the world by helping existing organizations implement, expand and improve their operations and impact on development. It attempts to do this through two main channels through implementing already existing projects, and through designing new projects. The organizations NOW concerns itself with comprise of non profit organizations, non-government organizations, for profit organizations, think tanks and government organizations. In its initial stages, NOW is focusing on non-profit and non-government organizations because they provide support and framework for development at the grass root and community level, which are the building blocks of a society.

It will mostly comprise of students, and we are trying to register it as a student organization in Stanford and MIT so that it is not restricted to one campus.

What we most want is for NOW to be an international organization from the very beginning and not just have it launched in Pakistan. We are looking at Jordan in the ME and the Philippines in East Asia. We have already identified NGOs in Jordan and have been in touch with the Jordan Information Bureau here, as well as the Philippines Cultural Office for contacts.

Here are some more logistics:

- the program will be for 8 weeks (doesn't sound as scary as 10 weeks and then people will also have time to travel etc.) Exact dates depends on the student and NGOs. e.g. Stanford students will probably go in early July because they get off in mid-June.
- We're looking at 3 countries in the first year even if we get contacts for more than 3 because we don't want to try to do too much, spread ourselves thin, reduce quality, and then not have enough flexibility to learn from our mistakes.
- Let's look at choosing 2 NGOs in each country, sending one student per NGO to each country at the minimum. This will make it easier for the NGO as well as for us in finding host families. Divide the students half in half between MIT and Stanford? I guess the latter depends on how many funds we can get from each place and outside.
- How many people will realistically apply? If more people apply than we expect, we should have enough flexibility to maybe choose more than we decided or should we not do that?

We are also thinking of asking A-level students in Pakistan to be hosts for student interns.

Mubarik will write more about funding ideas and questions we had so that we can get more feedback from y'all on that.

If you're still reading, thanks a million and we both look forward to hearing from you!!

Salam,
Maham and Mubarik

NOW draft 2 .doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NOW draft 2 .doc
 Filesize:  42.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1284 Time(s)

Sarah Karim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maham and Mubarik - amazing proposal you guys have on NOW. I wish you the very best of luck on it. A heads' up that there are two orgs potentially trying to do similar things which may be wonderful to learn from:

- www.collegecorps.org Started by a group of students at Harvard University (but registered as a non-profit organization), it functions as a college-student only peace corps for 8-10 weeks, and has placements in several different countries (although they do not have placements in Pakistan so far). It has until recently, I believe, only accepted applications from students in the Boston area, and this year are opening it up to students in NY City as well.

- http://www.aiesec.org/ An international organization that was established 56 years ago, it is currently present in over 800 universities in 89 countries. Members of AIESEC were touring Pakistan this summer I believe to get things rolling in setting up a chapter in Pakistan so people can come to Pakistan; I know at the very least they were on LUMS' campus.

I will be more than happy to also share my experience of Impak, which just completed its program a few days ago, although our structure was slightly different.

~Sarah
Maham Mela

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salam,

That's great - we'll definitely check out these organizations and ask them for some sort of advice. I think I've heard of AIESEC but I forgot about it so thanks for reminding us.

I'm not sure what you guys think about this but we were thinking of limiting the applicants to just MIT and Stanford for this year at least, and until we have some direct representation on other campuses. Because it'll take quite a bit of work mobilizing people to work with us and making them feel like they have a stake in this so we'd rather do it only in places we're familiar with in order to do the best we can. But expanding to other campuses is defintely a long term goal and collegecorps will be useful in that. Do you know anyone personally in these organizations who would be better for us to get in touch with?

Sarah, Mubarik should be in touch with you about Impak. We've been brainstorming ideas and how we can learn from you guys. It's just that her internet is down these days so it's hard for her to be very prompt. But we'll definitely contact you with some specific ideas we had.

And Mahjabeen, you mentioned Aditi who worked with the India program in MISTI - is there a way to get in touch with her to potentially find out about contacts and host families? Because we'd want to have a chapter in India as well and I think it'll be one of the most popular and relatively easier to coordinate chapters because there're so many Indian people we all seem to know. Please let me or Mubarik know what the best way is to get in touch with her.

Thanks a bunch!
Maham

-Taha Hussein

M. Mela
Maham Mela

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: "DevelopNOW" - Funding ideas? Reply with quote

Hope you guys are doing well! Mubarik and I have been working on the student intitiative "DevelopNOW" that I wrote about a few weeks ago where we try to place students with NGOs abroad as interns. We're now at the stage where we are exploring funding sources and methods and we wanted your advice and opinion. Any help, ideas, contacts, ways, means, tricks of the trade, and the likes will be much appreciated! Please let us know.

Thanks,
Maham and Mubarik

-Taha Hussein

M. Mela
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> General All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: