Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Literacy & Embroidery Center (baluchistan)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Computer Literacy & Embroidery Center (Baluchistan) Reply with quote

Hi Guy’s,

We received a project proposal from Baam Development Organization based in Kalatuk UC & Village kalatuk Tehsil Turbat Distt. Kech, Balochistan. Following is the initial project details received from BAAM:

Name: Baam Development Organization

Telephone Number: 0852-421134-421034

E-Mail Address: gulzargichki@hotmail.com

Address: BDO Kalatuk UC & Village kalatuk Tehsil Turbat Distt. Kech Balochistan

Background: Baam Development Organization (BDO) was formed on December 5, 1999 by the motivation and inputs of the former RO of TVO Turbat Mr. Murad Hasil in an open meeting of the social activists of the area. The youngsters were involved in social activities but were deprived of a plat form. The area is very rich in tem of educated youths who are raising voice against the social injustice and fighting for provision of necessities of life.

Previous Projects by Baam

Water supply scheme:
BDO has successfully completed a water supply project of installing a number of 20 hand pumps in the remote area who were previously deprived of water connection. The project benefited a number of more than 200 male female and children. Through the said project community received potable water in general. Female relieved from tedious task fetching water through the ancient means of rope and bucket from the open mouth deep wells located far away from the population. Occurrence of waterborne diseases reduced among children thus minimized medication cost substantially.

Community Advocacy Network (CAN)
Through this project with financial and technical support form the MSSI, BDO succeeded to undertake the following activities,
•Awareness campaign on sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and general health and hygiene to disseminate basic awareness on HIV, hepatitis, and health and hygiene in order to prevent the community from the said deadly diseases and to take necessary precautionary steps to ensure hygiene condition within houses, streets and mahallah etc so that have a healthy environment. Under this project a number of sessions conducted with both male and females.

•Training of Traditional birth attendants(TBAs) was also one of the major components of CAN activities under which five TBAs were trained and provided kit boxes in order to conduct safe deliveries at village level.

Seeking funding for: Computer Literacy and Embroidery center for school girls & boys

Objective
To provide sewing, embroidery and computer skills development training to the male and females of target area to make them able to initiate small scale home business to earn their livelihood and to contribute in family expense so that get empower and influence on decision making matters within the family and society as well.

Funding Amount Requested: Rs. 300,000

Deadline for Funding: July 25 to August 25, 2005

Summary:

The project area kalatuk is located in tehsil Turbat district Kech Balochistan with an estimated population of about 10207 souls. It is away some 24 Km from the Turbat city with mottled road to Iran border. Area is deprived of skill development schemes. Schools girls and boys often discord their education after matriculation due to poverty and lack of transport to Turbat city for further education. Women are not engage in any sort of productive activities in the arae. Jobs obtaining ra tio is very less as no one is equipped with computer literacy or experience in sewing cutting and embroidering local traditional Balochi embroidery. Drug demand is in high in boys. Females are denied their basic human rights as they are considered as non productive thus have no decision making role in family matters as well as social and political activities. It is very essential to impart technical trainings to those new breed to become skilled one so that initiate small scale economic activities on their own in order to become earning members of the society after completing their matriculation from their village schools. The project will impart a number of 10 girls for sewing cutting and embroidery training, while a number of boys in computer literacy.

Impact of the project
The said project of “Establishing of Sewing, Embroidery and computer center for girls & boys “will be implemented in village Kalatuk which is considered one of the main and populated villages of district Kech district with a total population of 10,207 souls. It is located 24 Km away from the downtown of Turbat on the Zubiad Jalal Highway on the west. Village has a significant role in the area socio-economic activities through its agriculture. It is considered as center of its suburbs with a total population of 18636(9982 of UC Ginnah and 8656 of Nodiz). Whole of population of two nearby UC approach to the Kalatuk for the purpose of education, availing health services, buying commodities for domestic need, transportation facilities, agricultural, cultural and literary activities as well. The village is facilitated with electricity, digital telephone, water supply, and high school for boys, middle school for girls, basic health center clinics, and link road to Turbat City.

Need of implementing of this project is that there is no technical skill development institutes in the area. Although, there is high school in the village where girl’s students are also admitted for getting high school education as no higher school facilities for females in the area is available. Student who afforded to get Turbat city through local transport are receiving this facility but those belong to poor families can not bear the cost of daily traveling and fee with other expenses to go to Turbat for computer education. The said center will be for poor and needy students for providing them quality educational facilities to gain skill development to be supportive for attaining jobs and to initiating small scale income generating activities. There are countless poor girls and boys who completed their matriculation and compelled to set at home without jobs and see future uncertain because of unemployment. They are frustrated and confused keeping in view their future dark as no one dare stand and encourage and support such people to stand on their own feet. They are considered unproductive and noncreative. Girls are much suffering as they face problems while wishing to get marry and start new life. There are so many cultural norms and custom being followed massively. Society is not enough educated to avoid the evil norms. The only solution is to further educate these girls and boys to make them able to struggle to earn livelihood not to be enough only for them but to support their families and proud to be earning persons of the society. The project in question will train a number of 160 poor girls and boys per year. This project will also be playing a very vital role in the face of emerging speedy development of Mekran Mega Project i.e. Gwadar Deep Sea Port, Coastal Highway, Gwadar Rathodero highway, Mirani dam etc. These projects are considered to be the back bone for national economy and will pave the road to reduce the poverty by providing job opportunity to people who are well equipped with skill development. The project in question will be marked as an endeavor to reduce the poverty and to strengthen the community by gaining economic empowerment. This will ultimately alter into educated and economically well up society. Poverty can defeat through education and economic empowerment and social evils will be fought accordingly and a tolerable society is come into existence in which every citizen live with peace and prosperity. The project would provide skill training opportunities to both male and females of the target area. There are no such projects undertaken by a donor in this deprived and backward part of Pakistan. Boys after schooling are rarely involved in productive or recreational activities because of non existence of any sort of development activities. While females are engage in doing local traditional embroidery which is very costly and non marketable at all. After getting training females would do latest and marketable design and initiate their won small scale business to earn sufficient income. Likewise, they also learn computer literacy to become more knowledgeable on latest technologies to combat illiteracy, backwardness and poverty and would become self sufficient. Project will continue to train a large number of kids after successfully completion of its first term of three months.

Equipment: 10 computers and 10 sewing machines from the funding received from ADP

Teachers: Teacher for sewing and embroidery and computer are locally available in the nearby district head quarter Turbat which is 24 Km away from the project site. BDO will offer them accommodation and meals as its contribution. We have already identified potential candidates as teachers who are ready to serve in the project.

Long Term Goal:
The project would offer training to 40 girls and boys in its first batch of three months for 3 hours, for 2 classes daily, except Sundays. This would continue for the second third and forth batches imparting trainings to an estimated number of 160 girls and boys accordingly. The number of beneficiaries would increase depending upon the response from the desired potential and desired candidates from nearby villages.

Please inform me if you have any questions/comments. I understand that our funds are limited so it would be nice to discuss this project's potential for acceptance in light of our funds in the next meeting.

Bilal
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bilal!

You've raised the most obvious concern - our ability to find is restricted at present... If we feel strongly about a project, I think we could do a mini fundraising initiative specifically for that project... But, let's look at the particulars, numbers and time frame.

I'm wondering if we can get clarification on the funding deadline. Are they applying to multiple institutions? If another inst might respond more quickly than ADP, there's no point in trying to dig into this now.

Other questions that stand out include:

1. Precise breakdown of use of funds
2. How will the beneficiaries have access to home-based or other opportunities after the training?
3. Gender segregated training. I'm always looking for opportunities to break down traditional walls, and elevate the opportunities for women. Perhaps when get a response to #2, Baam can explain why the computer training would not be useful to the girls. I'm hoping the opposite argument can be made, and perhaps the project scope can be modified to facilitate...
4. What exactly is the potential connection to the Mekran Mega, Gwadar Deep Sea Port, Coastal Highway, Gwadar Rathodero highway, Mirani dam projects?

It may be premature to assign a PC to this project. Do you think it's worth doing the legwork and addressing questions like these in advance of the next meeting? Would you have time to get in touch with them when we have a list of questions here?

~Justin
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly congratulations on receiving something from Baluchistan! Most NGOs I am familiar with hardly concentrate on Baluchistan.

I agree with the questions Justin has raised. Its probably a good idea to get a break down of funds. Also, who is covering the teacher's salary?

Justin, they seem to enroll women in a high school for boys currently, so I guess they are already breaking down traditional barriers.

As for technical training schools I know that in the Punjab the government has a special program for technical institutes in rural areas. I can try and find out if there is a corresponding organisation in Baluchistan.

Some of my friends have raised money for setting up computer labs and we are looking for locations to set them up. So we might be able to help set up a few computers.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mubarik. Thanks for the comments about breaking down walls. I hear you. I'm just reluctant to fund projects that unnecessarily perpetuate such barriers... But, I also understand the need to settle for a step in the right directions in many contexts...

It would be great if you are able to help out with the computer setups. Let's see how this proposal evolves. That could be a great 'value-added' contribution.

~Justin
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Understanding is that computer classes are for both boys & girls. and embroidery/sewing training classes for girls. As for teacher’s salary, I think it is included in the total cost.

I will post Baam's reply to our questions once I get it.
Mohammed Anjarwala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Additional Questions Reply with quote

Bilal,

We should also try to diligence the NGO. I don't know if you know of them already, but we should try to find out the following:

(1) How long has Baam been around?
(2) What are its goals/aims?
(3) What are the sources of its funding?
(4) What has been its track record?
(5) Who are the key individuals involved and how reputable are they?

I think that its generally been easier to get comfortable with NGOs that have been operating in big cities since someone has been able to visit. Given that Baam is in Baluchistan (and I'm glad we finally have a project from there), it may be not be possible to visit and build the same types of personal relationships that people have often been able to. As a result we should probably be a little more attentive in making sure the NGO itself is reputable.

Bilal, if you're already familiar with the NGO/individuals involved, and are comfortable that they are reputable, then we don't need to worry about it as much,

Mohammed
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo,

I do not know this organization personally; I found them on ngo-net website. I think the information I posted on the forum provide answers to few of your questions. However it is difficult to be satisfied by the information provided by Baam alone without meeting them or learning from another source about their work.

I agree that Baam being in Balochistan makes it difficult for ADP to visit but that is what makes this project even more attractive. A lot of work is being done in the big cities, its areas like this one that requires more attention. Anyway, I can try to get as much information as possible by calling/emailing them but again not sure if this would be enough to satisfy us.

One solution that I can think off is to use the internship program where we can pay for the persons traveling expenses so he/she can visit the facility and meet the organization. Other option is for ADP members to visit while they are in Pakistan.

In any case we first have to discuss to see if this project meets our criteria and we have enough funds to sponsor it.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. We definitely need to do all of the diligence, and this project may be more challenging than others in this regard, but I'd like to first better understand the project scope and funding deadline, so we can decide how far we want to take the process...

Can we look to existing contacts (LUMS, Mr. Ghaznavi?) to help evaluate the NGO? There must be a reputable 3rd party who can provide some insight/reference...

~Justin
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached is the response I got from Baam concerning our questions. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somone I know who was invloved with a NGO in Pakistan cautioned about the NGO 'business' in Pakistan. The work-done in only on paper and President/EDs are getting hefty pay checks...so we ought to do the investigation.

About the boys/girls barrier. I hope the issue is regarding girls not getting the computer training rather than "why are girls and boys not in the same room?"
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danish, the issue of credibility is extremely important. Its true that there are a lot of NGOs in Pakistan whose people get hefty paychecks.

If we can't do a site visit, perhaps we can ask Dr. Ghaznavi if he has heard of them or ask other NGOs that we've been working with. I'll email a few NGOs in the education sector to see if anyone has worked with them.

With regard to gender issues, its very difficult in rural areas to have co-ed classes. I think they clarified that they are providing training to both girls and boys as well.
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mubarik, I am actually in favour of non-co-ed classes in the rural areas.
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's,

Baam are asking for an update on their proposal. I understand that one of the main concerns is determining the credibility of the organization for which I have asked Sajjad's help. Can we discuss this project at our next meeting to determine if we will move forward or not? Sajjad, is it possible to get some details about BAAM by the next meeting. I am assuming it is this weekend?

Also, Memoona Anwar from another organization based in Balochistan called 'Anjuman Zanana Taleem(AZT)' emailed me to introduce herself and AZT. She got our information through BAAM which is apparently their 'Friend organization'. There is a lot of information on AZT which is part of 'Strengthening Participatory Organization (SPO)' on the net and they seem to be very active over the last few years. Following is information about her:

Memoona Anwar
President
Anjuman Zanana Taleem(AZT)
C/O: Village Meerabad Union Council Kalatuk tehsil Turbat District Kech
Balochistan Pakistan
Ph: 0852-421325

I think the above information about AZT might also help us get information about BAAM. Regardless, can we confirm the next meeting date, so we can decide on this project? In the mean time I will email BAAM informing them that we are still discussing this proposal.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilal,

We should be able to get any final questions within 2-3 days of the meeting.

Are you also following up with AZT to get a full proposal? As the self-appointed foreigner spokesman, I have to ask: What does 'Anjuman Zanana Taleem' mean? Is it a name?

Smile

~Justin
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anjuman = Association/Organization
Zanana = Female
Taleem = Education
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: