Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Suggesting Projects For Lums Social Development Course

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Suggesting Projects for LUMS Social Development Course Reply with quote

Heloo ADPers,

I recently met with Mr. Ghaznavi, regarding a collaboration
between LUMS and ADP. It was a great meeting went from the schedule
half an hour to one and half hour). He was greatly impressed by ADP
and our acomplishments (Mubarik did some fantastic groundwork for us in LUMS last summer). He was especially pleased about us
requesting metrics, and urged that we should continue doing so. He was
also very positive about establishing a relationship with us, both
with him personally and via LUMS.

One way he has offered to help us is to have his students do some leg
work for us. He is starting a class on 21st March, for which he would
like us to provide him with projects for his students. This can
include NGO/Project Proposal evalution, gathering metrics, monitoring
project, etc. He feels that with ADP relationship with the NGO, the
students will have an easier time working with the NGO. The catch is
to have project/NGO based in the Lahore area. So far we don't have any
projects here, though we could use Nirali Kitabeen and Alif Laila. If
we have selected any of these projects by then, we can have them
monitor and gather metrics for us. I think it would be great all
around.

Let me know if you have any project suggestions

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Hello, Nadia;

Good to talk to you the other day. Regarding our discussions, I would like
to see if you would be able to identify, say, four projects/institutions you
have been funding in and around Lahore that could be worth reviewing in
terms of performance to date. They could be in any area of activity and of
any size as long as they have some reasonable of complexity and as long as
they have some history of work behind them ( that could be useful mining
areas for my students)

Regards;

Dawood
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just transferring this discussion from e-mail to the forum.... here are some of mubriks comments:

I discussed the student evaluation work with him as well and I agree with you
there's a lot we can get out of it. In addition to projects that we want to
monitor, do you think it might be worthwhile for us to get some of the reports
on projects that his students do on other NGO's? We could possibly ask students
to suggest some projects to us as future projects.In that way we'll be getting
projects after someone has conducted due diligence on them.Also, students can
be told that there assessment of projects will have a real impact beyond a
report for a class. I know if I were in the student's shoes it'd motivate me to
work harder on the report and to spend extra time in choosing an NGO. If people
are able to go out there and choose an NGO, conduct due diligence and persuade
us to look at their proposals, I think it'll be more rewarding to students than
being told (ADP wants this project go evaluated.. go do their work).Also, it
might be a good way to get ppl involved in ADP and they can take on a role as
project champions (we always need more Smile ). If we have less than 4 projects
I'd say lets do this for 2 of the projects and suggest Nirali Kitabein and Alif
Laila as the other two.

Thanks so much for all the work you're doing in Pakistan Smile. It is much
appreciated Smile

Just my two cents worth,
Mubarik
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mubarik's ideas of:
  • taking a look at the existing reports from these students
  • allowing/encouraging the students to suggest NGOs/projects to do research on
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nadia!

I just wanted to check how things are going on the LUMS front. Is there anything we can help out with?

Thank for looking after all the stuff in Pakistan.

Best Wishes,
Mubarik
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been out of town for the last two weeks, and have been slacking off on the ADP stuff. Now that I am back, I'll get cracking on this....

Will talk to NK to see if we can use their org as a potential project for Mr. Ghaznavi. I was thinking of using the "Bonded Labour" project. It has many complexities and I am sure NK can use some help to flush out their 5-prong approach. We can use their study to determine to help us determine if we can /should support this prroject.

Another idea is to have the students develop a metrics gathering methodology for the AL folks. Even though we all know there are benefits to the hobby program, we don't really have metrics to guage the actual benefits. Sometimes the obvious is harder to prove. I'll check with Tasneem to see if she can get ALs support.

What do you all think? Any other ideas would be great. We can have upto four projects.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the first pass at developing a project for Mr. Ghaznavis class. I have sent this to NK to look over and update. Wanted you all to take a look at this and let me know what you think and if we need to add anything.

Bonded Labour Emancipation Project Evalutaion

About Nirali Kitaben:

Nirali Kitaben Trust (Distinctive Publications) started about 30 years ago on a church platform, and is the largest and oldest player in the field of adult in literacy in Pakistan. Nirali Kitaben has developed a phonetics-based methodology that will enable an illiterate person to read and write within 60 days. Their approach has been tried, tested and implemented successfully many times over, both by Nirali Kitaben and partner NGOs. In addition to providing basic education, Nirali Kitaben also publishes numerous books across a range of topics. They have the largest book selection on Health Education. Nirali Kitaben has recently completed translations of their basic education books into Sindhi. This effort has proved to be very successful with the people of Sindh.

For the last 15 years David Diwan Masih, the current General Manager of Nirali Kitaben, has been carefully studying the Bonded Labour problem in Pakistan. He has developed a five-pronged approach as a response to this issue, and would like to launch this project.

Background on the Bonded Labour Emancipation Programme
According to the International Labour Organizations (ILO) World Labour Report 1993, the “debt bondage in Pakistan is amongst the worst in the world”.

The system of Bonded Labour involves poor families being held as “slaves” against a loan they may have obtained from their employer. These loans are generally taken to pay for expenses incurred on weddings, funerals, medical treatments, etc. A bonded debt limits employment options, movement and the right to buy or sell personal property at market value. In many cases, these “workers” are subject to horrendous treatment at the hands of the ‘Bhatta Malikan’ (Brick Kiln owners). With such whirlpool limitations, it usually takes a generation, sometimes more to pay off these loans, and till then the person/family is held as personal property of the Brick Kiln Owners. This is all happening in Pakistan, despite the fact that the Pakistan Parliament has passed the Bonded Abolition Act 1992. Neither does Pakistan have comprehensive directory of Brick Kilns, even with registration regulations.

Nirali Kitaben has developed a five-pronged program approach to pull out the bonded labourers from their current plight.
1. Education
2. Providing Primary Health Care
3. Alternate Income Generation Skills/Options
4. Human Rights Service
5. Religious Education

The Nirali Kitaben efforts will be divided into three main schemes:

Literacy Program
This involves intensive training for literacy tutors. These tutors will go to the Brick Kilns and be able to provide effective adult literacy classes to the workers. The tutors will be trained to teach basic arithmetic, writing and language skills. These skills will facilitate the every day transactions of the workers as well as protect them from contractual exploitation at the work place. Nirali Kitaben will also provide Supervisor Training to ensure the successful continuation of the programme.

Primary Health Care Health is a major concern of these communities. There are no free dispensary or mobile dispensary established in Brick Kiln localities. The Alma Ata Declaration adopted by the World Health Organization (WHO) will be implemented under which the Nirali Kitaben team will instruct people on basic health care.

Income Generation Skills Bonded Laboures are paid much below the government approved rates. According to a report published by The News “A worker is paid Rs. 130 for preparing 1000 bricks and the work takes at least 15 hours…”. The Brick Kiln workers will be taught extra income generation skills and enabled to practice these by provision of micro-credit. They will also be given lectures on financial management so that the frequency of their loans can be minimized. Income generation skills such as stitching, shoemaking, poultry farming, etc. will also be taught.

Project for LUMS Students

§ Evaluate Project
o Evaluate project merits
o Discuss pitfalls, potential obstacles. Discuss how obstacles may be avoided or overcome.
o Discuss requirements for project success
o Discuss project impact and sustainability.
§ Develop Project Plan
§ Determine metrics needed to evaluate project progress and success. Develop metrics gathering methodology (surveys, interviews, etc)
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadia,

I really like the Bonded Labor project plan. It's meaty and quite ambitious which makes for an exciting project.

Since we haven't done projects in Lahore, I'm guessing it makes sense to focus just on new project evaluation (the students can only do work with Lahore-based efforts, right?). I think developing metrics to use for AL hobby clubs would be a great one, since its a tough problem.

Other ideas:
- Ask Dr. Ghaznavi to suggest a promising NGO that is doing groundbreaking work and ask students to evaluate their work and suggest good $2-3k projects out of it.
- Evaluate Ali Syed's planned Youth Initiative. It's very ambitious and it would be nice to know what a 3rd party thinks of its prospects.
- Evaluate TAC's performance to date? I know we decided not to fund but I'm curious to get an objective appraisal of their model. And who knows, it may convince us to get involved?

We will hopefully discuss the LUMS initiative in the upcoming meeting this Sunday and will get back to you with more ideas.

Keep up the good work!

-Tarim
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the proposal sent in to help Alif Laila develop a metrics methodology. During our last meeting with AL, the indicated that this was an area that they needed help with since many donor agencies are now asking for this information and also for them to better develop their programme.

Alif Laila – Developing Metrics Methodology

About Alif Laila
Aif Laila is non-governmental organization dedicated to improving the standards of education among the disadvantaged communities in Pakistan. The organization was established in 1978, and its first project was the “book bus” – a colorful double-decker parked in Gulberg II, housing a bilingual library for young students. The book bus developed into the mobile book bus service that then expanded into a resource center providing children with project based learning opportunities in several fields including arts, crafts, electronics, photography, etc. The project based learning centers (PBLC) also referred to as “hobby clubs” were established to provide opportunities to government school children from underprivileged backgrounds. Their aim is to provide equal opportunities to children “to learn by doing”, irrespective of their economic background. The main focus of Alif Laila is to help children use their curiosity and imagination, two ingredients that are vital for innovation and invention.

Gathering Metrics
No one can doubt the positive impact made by having a children’s library or by encouraging a young mind. Unfortunately it is much difficult to prove. Alif Laila would like to develop a formal methodology to gather, monitor and measure the impact and success and of their “hobby clubs”.

Currently Alif Laila encourages students for feedback, the monitor student progress but have no real system to measure the impact of the students.

Students from the University of Engineering and Technology (UET) help monitor and develop their electronics programs.

Project
To develop a formal methodology that Alif Laila may adopt to measure impact of their hobby clubs.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will let Mr. Ghaznavi know that we would be interested in hearing from his students if they find a project for us. He seemed to be eager to help us out.

I think that TAC is out as a project through us. At least till we are able to better our relationship with them. I can ask Mr. Ghaznavi to give us any previous reports on Help-Care and their works.

Ali Syed's talk on the Youth of Pakistan seemed to be really interesting. I am sorry to have missed out on it. At the moment I don't have enough material to write up the proposal on his Youth Incentive plan. Can you, or some other helpful ADPer chalk out a project for Mr. Gs students? Since his class is starting in a day or two it would have to be quick.

Mubarik/Maham, if you guys want we can give a part of the internship program to LUMS folks to look at. May be we can ask them to come up with a strategy to engage the PSA folks and other people. Or some other area of the programme for them to evaluate. Just a thought.

Nadia
Maham Daher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Nirali Kitaben Training for Literacy Tutors Reply with quote

After reading Nadia's very helpful description of the Nirali Kitaben approach, I had a thought.

I know NK's larger 5 pronged approach is still being hashed out and requires a substantial amount of funds. However, the "Training for Literacy Tutors" they want to conduct seems to me to be a far more well defined project. It may be well within the scope of ADP's funding capability.

Providing basic literacy skills to bonded laborers would be a huge step in limiting their exploitation.

We have funded healthcare training for Dil before. I think it would be very helpful to get details/ specifics from NK on the "Literacy Tutor Training" component.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maham, I agree that we will only be able to choose a portion of the Bonded Labour Emancipation Programme to fund. It is a huge project. Rough estimates from NK put the dollar figure to about $84K, with about 5 years to start seeing impact. Also I think the programme needs to be hashed out a little more, before it goes into the implementation stage. Not to mention tackling the sticky political issues of going into a Bhattas with these ideas.

I think the LUMS students will really be able help us to evaluate the project. It does need a detail study.

And the Literacy Program would also be my choice. It is NKs forte and inaddition to basic reading and writing skills, this program will really arm these people with knowledge to fight their exploitation.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news ADPers, Mr. Ghaznavi is taking both the Alif Laila and Nirali Kitaben project as part of his class prjects. At the end of the semester we should have some great thrid-party evalutions and ideas. Not to mention a stronger partnership with the LUMS folks.

I have also told Mr. Ghaznavi to let his students know that ADP would be interested in funding a small (2-3K) project, so they should be on the look out during their site visits. His class alsp has an interesting project to determine evaluation mechanisms for CARE's schools. I have requested that we be allowed to study all their reports.
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC!!! Hopefully we'll also get more students interested in joining ADP =)
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent. Great work Nadia. And Mubarik, thanks for planting the seeds last year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: