Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Akhuwat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khurram Owais Shah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Akhuwat Reply with quote

Project Screener: Tehniyet Kardar
Project Team: Farzal Dojki, Ahmad Sheikh, Saad Khan
EC: Natasha Qureshi, Faris Rahman, Dawood Ahmad
Saad Halim Khan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

The following questions regarding the proposal need to be answered.

1. The project proposal mentions that loans from this donation will be given to entrepreneurs to setup or expand their business. Two products fall under this category, the Family Enterprise Loan (10000-25000) and the Silver Loan (upto 50000). Clarification is required as to how the donated amount will be distributed between the two products.

2. The proposal mentions the number of beneficiaries to be 76. This is assuming a loan of 10000 per person. If Akhuwat can provide us data on actual loan disbursement amounts, we'll be able to determine the number of people impacted.

3. Project objectives talk about creating awareness and holding events for social guidance. Are these costs covered in the 5% membership fee?

Farzal

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What are general loan recovery timeframes?

2. How is tracking being done, in general, for all projects/loans (In terms of IT systems)

3. Ideally in a MF organization, donor should receive money back, just like a bank.

4. Are they able to track which business got ADP money, and how that business is doing?

5. What is the pay back period for borrowers

6. Are they open to auditing of past data?

7. 15,000 vs. 10000: If average is 15K, why are they assuming 76 beneficiaries for 760K?

8. can we insist one type of loan from our money? for example, the family enterprise loan is the one that makes most sense for ADP.
Farzal

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Benefit 100s Of Families And Fund Runs Out? Reply with quote

As the attached diagram shows, the money doesn't just infinitely keep serving the needs. It decreases every year due to inflation and administration costs. In about 5 years, 1/3rd of it remains.

Is that OK? If money runs out after helping 150 families start their own ventures, is that good enough for ADP?

I think that's the most important question in this project evaluation. Everything else is icing on the cake.

If Yes, money can run out after 150 families, and ADP is OK with it, this project can be further pursued.

Otherwise ...
Dawood Ahmed

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Akhuwat Reply with quote

Dear All - I am new to ADP and apologies if I have missed the point but just a very preliminary observation:

This organisation seems to have already disbursed about 300 million + PKR and possibly lend 100k's daily. Therefore a question in my mind is how sizeable or recognizeable an impact will ADP's Rs 8 Lakh contribution make to Akhuwat, in fact will it even be identifiable where exactly the money has gone as to me it seems it will enter a general pot of money and from there will be disbursed as and when necessary, to whom Akhuwat considers necessary - therefore can the criteria about making a measurable impact or serving a sustainable need even be satisfied or monitored.

Regards.

Farzal

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Fit for ADP Reply with quote

This question is from Ahmad Sheikh who emailed it to me:

Quote:
"I guess my very high-level question is regarding fit of this project
for ADP. In addition, there appears to be very little accountability
in terms of the businesses that the funding will go to. I would like
to know more about Akhuwat's funding criteria and more statistics on
the type of businesses they have funded and the social impact of those
businesses."
Farzal

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Questions emailed Reply with quote

Questions related to Akhuwat have been emailed and I hoping to get responses by Friday.

Questions related to internal ADP policies have to be sorted out between the evaluation committee members once we get the responses from Akhuwat.

Regards,
Farzal
Farzal

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Akhuwat resposes Reply with quote

Please see attached file for responses from Akhuwat
Natasha Qureshi

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

I apologize for not being able to join in the discussion sooner. Following are the questions I have:

1. What is Akhuwat's delinquency rate for each of the type of loans?

2. Since one of Akhuwat's main purpose is to bring people above the poverty line, are they able to track this impact? In other words does the beneficiary's income increase (and by how much) after 1, 2 and 3 years?

3. How much money has Akhuwat received in donations and fund-raising in 2008 and 2007?

In my opinion we first need to assess whether we want to fund an on-going operation of a relatively large NGO or not?

Looking forward to the call.

Best,

Natasha
Faris Rahman

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: akhuwat Reply with quote

after having reviewed the materials sent around, I think the key discussion items for our call today should be focused on the gating questions as described below.

1. Are we comfortable making an investment in an NGO where we will be providing a relatively small proportion of overall funding?
a. This seems like a gating issue as ADP’s project screening checklist clearly states that ADP does not fund projects if our funding represents <50% of total project needs.
b. The rationale for this is: “Being a material donor is important for NGO responsiveness and prompt reporting”.
i. Therefore, if we believe that the NGO will be responsive and provide prompt reporting, is that enough for us to be able to invest in the project?
ii. Or are there other criteria ADP likes to consider – e.g. ADP prefers to invest in projects where it is viewed as the sole/major contributor
2. Given the above I think the key questions for us are:
a. Do we believe the NGO will be responsive and prompt with their reporting?
i. Would be good to hear how the project team’s involvement has been with them thusfar
1. Have they been very responsive?
a. Sounds like the answer is yes but color would be good based on your most recent interactions as well
2. Are they an “institutional quality” NGO?
a. Do we believe them to be a capable organization based on our research of them? (e.g. low/zero delinquency rate points to favorable answer here but would like to get a sense for their reputation in the NGO community – are they viewed as highly professional/organized, how has our interaction with them been? What is the project team’s assessment?)
b. Can we get the LUMS/other case study on Akhuwat?
b. Do we believe their reporting is sufficiently detailed where ADP will be able to track every single loan made with our funding as well as its impact?
i. Sounds like they can do this, but would be good to get several examples of their reporting/tracking to get a better handle on this
ii. Can a clear ADP “separate account” be demarcated with the PKR 800k we will be investing?
1. If this is possible and we can separately track the impact of our investment over its lifetime, then I could potentially get comfortable around investing in a larger NGO organization as we will have fulfilled the requirements of making positive social impact in a quantifiable way
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: