Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Aurat Association Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: EC update Reply with quote

Team,

Hope you are all doing well. We are looking forward to the EC presentation on Saturday. Please upload the Project Summary Form on the proposal by Friday at the very latest, so EC members have a chance to read it prior to the call.

Owais -- it would be great to identify metrics that would make the project successful.

In addition to the questions that you have raised it would be useful to have answers to the following questions prior to the call as well.

Key questions for Initial Presentation:
1)Market assessment
2)Revenue Model
3)Project Need

1)Market assessment:
a.What market will the products address: national or local?
b.What is the size of the market?
c.Market demand: Is there a demand for the training that the women want to offer? Did these women already have existing businesses?
d.How confident is AA of developing links with the Export Promotion Bureau and other organizations to sell the goods?

2)Revenue Model:
a.How many women will training be provided to?
b.Of these women, what number of successful businesses are expected to be set up? Why?
c.Of these women, what number of unsuccessful businesses are expected? Why?
d.How much are women in successful and unsuccessful businesses expected to earn?
e.What efforts are being made to ensure quality control? How are learnings from prior projects (Village Karlal and Miseror project going to be incorporated?)

3)Project Need:
a.Why has AA chosen to provide women with these particular training skills? Was there a local demand? Why is this project effective/competitive?
b.According to the survey that AA conducted, were there any other skills that would be useful for the women to acquire?

Hope this helps!

Best,
Akbar, Janet and Mubarik
S Ali Rizvi

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Project Summary Form Reply with quote

Could not attach so i'm posting it. Will also email everyone the form.

PROJECT SUMMARY FORM

PROJECT BACKGROUND
Names of Project Team
Members Owais Rafiq, Waqas Mansoor, Usman Hafeez, Syed Rizvi

Project Name Women Handicraft Development Program (WHDP)
Project Location
(city/town, province) Village Karlal, Mansehra, NWFP
Funding Amount
Requested PKR 295,500 (Approx. US$ 4900)
Funding Deadline Stated March 2008 (Flexible)
Date of Project Submission

PROJECT DESCRIPTION
To empower rural women socially, politically & economically by improving their skills and capacities through Technical and Management Training and enabling them to generate and increase income by seeking employment in different sectors and to work as skilled workers locally.

Itemized Budget (include here or as an attachment) Attach itemized budget with this form

PROJECT EVALUATION
Please see Project Summary instructions for an explanation of each criterion.
Criteria Assessment (H/M/L) Rationale
Critical Need

H Increases Income Capability in a far flung area
Keeps young people involved and away from dangerous Activities (religious fundementalism)
Increases self esteem of women and respect for them
Social Return

H For a small amount of money many people get an added source of income
Improvement of skill through training center
Trained women can help further train others
Lifestyle and Helath improvements in the region due to added income and training
Measurability

To be further established on site visit
Sustainability

H The organization id already running numerous training centers in the regions successfully.
Commited to their projects and the community
Community involvement
Other Considerations
(scalability, innovation, ADP learning)
Success Statement
Metrics
Monitoring Plan
(Reports, visits, etc.)
Key Issues
(“Gating” factors)

NGO DESCRIPTION
Name Aurat (Women) Association
NGO Registration Act Social Welfare Act 1961 XLVI (Registration No. DSW/NWFP 908.
Contact Name Malik Akbar
E-mail auratassociation@hotmail.com
Telephone +92-997-303010, 201729 (V)
Address E-47, Ghazikot Township, Mansehra, Pakistan
Website NA
Organization Background:
Briefly describe when it was
formed, mission statement /
nature of work, geographical
served, target populations, etc. Aurat (Women) Association (AA) was registered in December 1994 and started its activities in 1995 on voluntary basis (having no project). One male (Executive Director) and 2 progress female took initiative to organize female, especially rural women in the area. That was a very tough time to work to empower women in the male dominated atmosphere and in a very conservative semi-tribal and semi-feudalistic male hold. At that time in whole of the district there was no NGO (Male/Female) and even this time there is no Female NGO (except AA) in whole of the division (4 districts). Religious fanatics and other forces of status quo tried to harass AA female for a considerable long time not to raise awareness regarding women rights make interaction with women to involve in developmental or income generation activities in the area. Women of the area were not allowed to take part in any sort of political, social and economic activities. No body was in favour of women businesses whereas in agriculture side women contribute 90% but their work was never recognized by the male members of the society.
List of Officers/ Board of
Directors Board of Governors: 50% female
AA sub organization: 26 Center Chiefs 130 group Leaders (all women)

Total AA membership: 702 all women.
Leaders of the Organization with background

Board of Governors (More then 50 percent female) i.e.

1. Ms.Mumtaz Begum: Human rights activist working in well know women NGO(Aurat Foundation) having rich experience of Gender sensitization, resource person of political education.

2. Master Bashir: Educationist and human right activists, remained President Labor Union.

3. Ms. Zohra tul Fatima: Consultant- Remained Head of 2 women NGOs now working as consultant free lance.

4. Mr.Shah Nawaz, Advocate: Lawyer and also head of our lawyer support group. Advocate High Court.

5. Ms. Rahima: (from Community) Master trainer Community development.
6. Executive Director Malik Akbar( officio members)
No. of paid staff (3 MALE 4 FEMALE) Total 7 (permanent)
No. of Volunteers 24 self sustainable female centers in 24 villages. Each Centers consist Group & Deputy Group Leaders, Center and Deputy Center Chiefs (elected by members for one year) One center consist of 27 women. TOTAL 648 MEMBERS:

AA SUPPORT GROUPS:
Women Action Group: To take action against violence, for democracy, unjust and discrimination Consisting 50 bold and committed male and female
Lawyer Group: To give free legal aid to victims (meet the criteria of AA). 3 #
Citizen Action Committee: Consisting different section of the society based on Doctors TradeUnion, govt. Line Department, Business community .(Play advisory role at the time of pressure on civil society organizations). Total # 18
Fiscal Revenues for past year PK RS 4,484,000/=
Major Funding Sources 1. Misereor, Germany (Project : Women empowerment through multi dimensional activities)

2. Norwegian Human Rights Fund (NHRF) Norway – Approved one year project recently –Signed agreement. Awareness activities will be started soon)

NGO EVALUATION
Criteria Initial Assessment (High/Med/Low) Explanation
Responsiveness M
Enthusiastic but hard to contact
No web presence
Capability H On paper and in phone conversations the organization seems capable and comitted the facts need to be further confirmed with a site visit.
Integrity H Past record shows integrity and comitment.
Refrences spoke highly of the organization.
Checks
(Y/N)
Notes
Site Visit Completed
(attach Site Visit form if “yes”) No
References Checks
(summarize below if “yes”) YES
Political / Religious Affiliations No
Anti-Terrorism List-Checking
(the ADP GC will complete this in the Follow-up phase)
Recent Annual Financials Received
(please indicate whether audited or un-audited) No Recived their total amount from last year in the proposal, an itemized financial record was not submitted.

REFERENCE CHECKS
Please describe in this section how you conducted the reference checks.
Name Ms. Saima
Affiliations Heinrich Boll Foundation
Telephone +92-42-6666322
Email saima@hbfasia.org
Contact method
(tel., e-mail, in-person, etc) Phone
Findings Worked on a project with Aurat Association.
Very effective organization with grass roots support.
Doing a lot of work in the region.
Commited and Reliable.

Name
Affiliations
Telephone
Email
Contact method
(tel., e-mail, in-person, etc)
Findings

Name
Affiliations
Telephone
Email
Contact method
(tel., e-mail, in-person, etc)
Findings
Khurram Owais Shah

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary Form attached for download
Janet Zhou

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Metric for Evaluation Reply with quote

Hi All,

Looking forward to talking to you soon. I really like the work that Owais did on laying success metrics.

Two suggestions for additions:

1. Would be good to get a sense on whether or not the women are in charge of the money that they do earn. I would count this as a qualitative sub-bullet under the final net new income provided to a women. For a more quantitative measure, we could look at something like the level of reinvestment in a company or the breakout of the household's spending before the project and after the project.

2. Would like to see an intermediary level of success after completion of training, perhaps as an augment to "product developed" which is level of employment. Even if training is provided and the woman does not start her own business, if the skill makes her more employable somewhere else I think that counts as a success

Talk to you soon!

~Janet
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Follow-ups from EC call Reply with quote

Hi Team,

It was great talking to you all! I wanted to follow-up on the last EC call.

Attached are the list of diligence questions that we discussed. Owais, please feel free to supplement these with any that I may have missed.

Next steps:
1) Follow-up with NGO on key issues raised by the EC
2) Decide what questions need to be asked for the site visit (fill out in site visit form)
3) Finalize detailed budget, metrics and monitoring plan
4) Coordinate anti-terrorism screening with the General Counsel. Please contact Khurram for more details.

Meanwhile if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to Janet, Akbar or myself.

Thanks!
Mubarik
Owais

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Aurat Follow Up Reply with quote

Apologies for the delayed response, I have added my initial document from the call we all had, but it seems a bit dated now with all of the conversation i see here. So, I will update and I have reached out with Ali to support him and hopefully join on this next call.

I have also attached my original project evaluation, which I believe to have a good framework to start building some of the metrics and measurability tools. As mentioned, I am willing to invest sometime to develop these as I am fairly proficient with excel and hopefully ADP/Aurat can use these as reusable tools for future works.

Thanks all for your help,

Owais
S Ali Rizvi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Followup Call Reply with quote

Thanks Owais for compiling the list of questions, I will talk to Khurram and try and arrange the conference call with Aurat Association at the earliest, In the mean time I would suggest if anyone else has thought up of asking something else, please post the questions in the forum, so we can add them to the list and go to AA with everything we have.
Owais

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: meeting Reply with quote

salaam ali and all, I was wondering if anyone has any information with regards to our next call/meeting. I'd like very much to help wrap up our final action items inshallah.

thanks,

Owais
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for following-up. Has the team had a chance to:
1) Discuss the key issues raised on the previous call with the NGO?
2) Conduct a site-visit? (Let me know if you think the answer on the project so far is no, in which case we can do without one)
3) Done budget diligence/devised a monitoring plan (if your recommendation is to go ahead)?

Please let me know if you have any questions. The EC is available for a call on 21st June at 10am PST/11pm Pakistan Standard Time.

Thanks!
Mubarik
S Ali Rizvi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Status Reply with quote

Owais I'm sorry for no updates since the last email, I have sent you and the EC a detailed email, hopefully we can wrap this up soon. I will keep you posted if there is any progress or as soon as I have a conference call setup for you, myself and Malik Akbar.
Khurram Owais Shah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owais, great job in putting the documents together!

I will be contacting Usman tomorrow and see if he can do a site visit in the next couple of days. We're gunning to end this evaluation by this weekend; been lingering on for too long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: