Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Gulbahao: New Project Proposal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talha mujaddidi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: GULBAHAO: new project proposal Reply with quote

hi guys,

this is a new proposal that i got from a non profit based in karachi called Gulbahao. i have attached their project proposal and other details. this ngo is also willing to get money from us as a loan. but i guess we can go through their proposal and discuss it and see what we think about it. thanks .

talha
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talha,

Thanks for submitting the proposal. Please let me know if you are able to answer these questions or if you think we should contact Nargis to get more details.

1) Can you please clarify, for which specific project does Gul Bahao need funding?
2) What is the objective of the project? (Is it to secure funding for a manufacturing plant that manufactures alternate housing?)
3) If not, what type of manufacturing plant does Gul Bahao want to set up?
4) Who are the intended consumers/beneficiaries of products produced in the manufacturing plant? Will it be a for-profit venture or a non-profit venture?
5) Budget: The proposal states that there is an excel sheet attached. Please let me know if we are missing something. Assuming that the budget in the word document is correct, the total expected cost is ~$24,000. Due to its size, ADP is unlikely to cover funding for the entire project. What other sources of funding is Gul Bahao looking at?

Thanks,
Mubarik
talha mujaddidi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't have to provide funding for the entire cost of the operation.
plus when i spoke to Nargis Latif, she said she could return the money that we give to them after 6 months since they think by that time they will be in a position to do so. but i told them that we don't loan money to ngo s if the project is meeting our criteria then we will give funding.

the funding request is for the plant, which will b used to make plastic goods by recycling plastic waste. there office and plant are in Karachi, if need be i can go and visit it. or whoever is in Karachi who wanna come along.

the benefit of this project is to help reduce plastic waste and recycle it to make cheap goods like they have shown in their booklet that they mailed to me. these goods can be made as temporary shelters, plastic benches, small chairs things of this nature.

thanks
talha
talha mujaddidi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to attach gulbahaos fiscal budget sheet, here it is thanks
talha mujaddidi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i wanna find out if theres anyone else in karachi besides me and khurram, he s busy since hes getting married, so if theres someone else around then we can go have a look at gulbahao

thanks
talha
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Talha,

Thanks for being pro-active! Before doing a site visit we'd like to do the following:
1) Determine the likelihood of the project getting funding (i.e. we need to answer the questions in my earlier post, especially the one around funding). ADP is unlikely to be able to cover funding for the entire project, so it is crucial that we understand what other sources of funding Gulbahao is persuing.
2) Staff a project team (if the project is likely to get funding).
3) Conduct an initial evaluation (project team will figure out key questions and prepare a project summary form).
4) Conduct a site-visit (after key issues have been identified and discussed).

Before doing a site-visit we'd like to make sure that the project has a decent chance of getting funding and then staff a project team (if appropriate).

Please let me know if you'd like to join the project team. It will be great, if you could serve as a point of contact and help set up an initial conversation (preferably a phone-call over the weekend) between Gulbahao, you, Usman and me to discuss some of the initial concerns.

Thanks for all your help in identifying such an interesting project!

Best,
Mubarik

Last edited by Mubarik Imam on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
talha mujaddidi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

yes the project will get funded, if not by us then someone else, they have many well known people as donors, and they are also trying to get their knowledge and intellect under copyright protection, meaning that in future they will end up being self sustained and no longer requiring donations. the booklet they mailed me has a big list of org and ppl who have donated to them so they will ask them again. site visit i can do alone, since no one else is around in khi, khurram s getting married so lets not bother him for a while.

project team, well i mn i am here, and if u wanna join in, you can do that, or i can ask Nargis Latif whos the founder of gulbahao if you want to talk to her you guys can talk to her.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talha:

Just to bring you up to speed, ADP now has a much more streamlined project review process, which is what Mubarik is referring to. So now that you are on the team, there will be a discussion amongst the project team, once selected, and the project will move from there.

Mubarik, if you have a document (or web link) summarizing the process handy, please email it to Talha.
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Call with Gulbahao representative Reply with quote

Talha and I had a call with Nargis from Gulbahao. Here are the details:

Need: Gul Bahao needs $26,000 (preferably in the form of grants, but is also open to loans) for setting up its manufacturing plant and research facility ASAP after the monsoons.

Timing: Gul-Ahmed might fund their project, based on a board decision to be made within the next 8-10 days. I am hesitant to staff a team to the project until we know how much funding (if any) they will still require.

Other considerations:

Innovative technology: Gulbahao has received tremendous press coverage both locally and abroad for its portable toilets, homes and other products made of recycled materials. They are doing some ground breaking research in developing technologies and need money to disseminate their technology. We have often wanted to fund innovative projects -- this could be potentially be a great opportunity!

Publicity: Gulbahao is happy to spread the name of its donors. I needed to re-emphasize that results and not publicity is ADP's prime goal for funding projects.

Previous loans: they have taken loans from loan-sharks in the past with interest rates over 80% (which seem exhorbitant!). Apparently, banks have been reluctant to give them loans and they have approached several organizations.

Site-visit: Their facilities have also suffered tremendous damage as a result of the storms in Karachi .

Next Steps:
1) Talha can you please follow-up with Ms. Nargis to figure out how much support Gul-Ahmed is willing to lend. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.
2) If there is still a need for funding ADP will staff a project team to evaluate it further.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,
Mubarik
PS. Khurram, we'll be uploading training materials to the website soon.
talha mujaddidi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all ,

as mubarik mentioned we spoke with nargis, since then that update is the gulahmed has given them initial Rs.200,000. after successful utilization of this money further donation will be given to gulbahao. so right now all they have from the grand total of Rs.1,4,27000 is 200K.

i think that we have to look into 3 things, here,

1) credibility of gulbahao, people involved and other sources of funding, who else is involved in donating money other than gul ahmed.
2) ADP can fund a project if the end result is something that results in helping the people of pakistan in some way. like if gulbahao can produce somethign in the end which will help reduce plastic waste by lets say 15% in karachi, or raise the living condition of poor slum areas by providing them plastic made sheets as roofs that they can use, instead of cloth, or old tree trunks and sticks. i mean something that will help the people in the end, ofcourse their plastic waste management plant and other project ideas are sustainable, and going to be self sufficient.

but i just wanna wait a little and see what else support they are getting from other sources. in the mean time we can discuss this in the next meeting.

ayte
talha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Dropped All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: